CPU upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU upgrade

OK I was kicking around getting a new CPU for my system since getting a Althon 64 Rig is far off into the future for me.

I was thinking about getting this:

Althon XP 2400+ "Thorton Core"

Any comments on how they overclock or any other suggestions? I'm stuck using the 266FSB due to the Motherboard.
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

I just bought the retail version of this for my gf's computer, also from newegg. $80 including fan, seemed like a better deal than oem and no fan/heatsink.

I would have gone for a faster unit but this is the limit of her motherboard @266mhz.

IF your motherboard can handle a 333mhz AMD cpu it will also have a 512k cache vs. 256. Definitely worth it!
    Last edited by gangster; 23 January 2004, 14:31.
    P4b@2.7, AOpen ax4spe max II, 4X Parhelia 128 with Zalman zm80c and fan -or- ATI Radeon X800GTO, 1024mb.

Comment

The Barton is much better, at 512k Cache, and it Overclocks like a monster. Everyone I have seen has been able to hit 3200+ Speeds, if not 3400+.

Might be time for a $50 Nforce2 board.
      "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

I think Thorton is a Barton with messed up/disabled cache, some russian site (ixbt/digit-life maybe?) ran the hack to open it back up. Pretty interesting.

Comment

yup, it was xbit labs

Comment

Originally posted by Byock
            The Barton is much better, at 512k Cache, and it Overclocks like a monster. Everyone I have seen has been able to hit 3200+ Speeds, if not 3400+.

Might be time for a $50 Nforce2 board.
            Well I want to do this cheap and under $100 bucks and if I went with a 333Mhz System it would be a SIS748 board. Getting a new CPU and Motherboard wouldnt be too bad, but the memory would be a kick in the dick.
            Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

They're not to expensive.
              P4b@2.7, AOpen ax4spe max II, 4X Parhelia 128 with Zalman zm80c and fan -or- ATI Radeon X800GTO, 1024mb.

Comment

Working...
              X