Anyone know why ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know why ???

After installing Easy CD ver 6 Windows XP detected the Linux drives and game them all drive letters. Couldn't read them of course but why should it do this? Prevoulsy they didn't show up.
    Under disk manager the drives don't have letters.
    Anyway for now I've disabled the volumes in the device manager.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

What partition types do the Linux partitions have? Can you post the output of (under Linux) fdisk -l?
    Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Even if it can't read the file types, I suppose the program could still back up the raw image of the drive onto CDs. That could be a reason.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Got to say I don't recommend this program. After I first installed it I decided to do a ghost restore back to Jan 16th and start again.

Anyway the same thing happened of course more worrying was the following.

1) Audigy2 drivers got messed up so I had to re-install these.

2) Several windows update packages were overwritten and needed re-installing notably the blaster ones. Viewing the installtion history shows the last auto update on Jan 13th so god knows how the others got uninstalled.

I wonder what else has gone by the way side.
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I guess that it's reading the disc contents using it's own access layer, rather than taking information from windows. IIRC (And I may not) you have to use your own access layer for viewing CD TOCs and such anyway, so I guess they may be using the same for HD access as well. I don't know why you'd do that though.

Does ECDC 6 allow you to see the network neighbourhood (or my network places, or whatever it's called)?
          MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

What partition types do the Linux partitions have? Can you post the output of (under Linux) fdisk -l?

Unknown command that was easy wasn't it.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

<sigh> Well I doubt that was the problem anyway.
              Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Originally posted by Ribbit
                <sigh> Well I doubt that was the problem anyway.
                Well it isn't a problem just strange behavoir. fdisk should work under linux. No doubt Redhat removed with their own version to keep you guessing. They did that with Xconfig to really mess up you.
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Well I wasn't happy with the system so I ghosted back again. This time I didn't re-installed easycd 6. There was one strange thing down had to boot in safe mode so the system could install a new device. There hasn't been any new devices installed. Strange.

1) Windows update didn't need doing.

2) Audigy2 software was installed properly.

What have they done???
                  Last edited by The PIT; 23 January 2004, 10:53.
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Well UT2k3 has recovered and plays happily without Easy CD6 on the system.
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                    X