How to set up a VPN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to set up a VPN?

I did a quick search of the forums and could not find anything, so I am resorting to everyone here for help. I am looking to set up a VPN for my home PC's. I do not know THAT much about VPN other than its supposed to be more secure than other general network traffic.

I did a few search's on GOOGLE also but have not found anything that is simple enough for me to even grasp the basic concept of how VPN works, what all I need and eventually how to set it up.

My main goal is to use VPN to secure my VNC sessions from anywhere in the world to my PC's at home. That is the main thrust behind this learning process.

Any and all help / pointers / tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
    MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
    Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
    Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

A VPN is a secure i.e. encrypted connection between two points. One end is your home, where is the other end going to be?
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Typically, you use VPN to connect from home to work. You usually need a VPN Server, VPN Client, and in some cases encryption methods just to get a password to log into VPN. I'm not familiar with smaller VPN setups. It might be that there is some kind of VPN server software which should work for you. Typically though, software means that the connection is 10-12 times slower than normal.

This is what I am used to seeing.

Dave

edit: VPN Overview
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Ive just been doing this myself.

I bought a Alcatel speedTouch610 router that is advertised as having ipSec based VPN built in.

(background, two types of VPN, pptp and ipSEc)

Turns out the SpeedTouch doesnt actually have 'real' ipsec, as it wont talk to any client available onthe market, and alcatel dont/wont supply one.

[From email to support]
        Solution:

I did understand your question the first time, and I still need to say that we do not support the configuration of a third party VPN client to LAN VPN, nor do we provide such a client. Our helpdesk is not equipped, nor do we have the expertise to support advanced VPN solutions.

The SpeedTouch 610 was developed with an embedded VPN SW that allows LAN to LAN VPN, and I agree that using DMZ will degrade the device to a quasi bridge but this is the only for sure working solution we can offer you.

Thank you for making SpeedTouch products part of your Internet Solution.

[end email]

Basically means you can plug two SpeedTouch 610s into each ohter, and get a VPN that way. No good for dialup to LAN. Also, both ends have to have a static IP.

Anyway, I did lots of research, and can say these guys:

Seem to be the most onto the ball. You can even use dynDNS to set the address of the VPN server, and then use any IP for the client.

If you dont want to use something like that, then you can do what I did in the end.

Use an old computer to build a linux box (Debian in my case), and install pptpd (point to point tunneling protocol daemon), then set your router to forward all GRE ports to your linux box.

After doing that, you can use standard Microdoft VPN client from win98 onwards to connect.

try this:

Anyway, I dont check this forum as much as I use to, but if you need more help/scripts etc, reply, and Ill try to check a couple of times this week

Ali

Comment

So am I to assume that if I want VPN my current router (D-LINK DI-764) needs to have IPSEC ability built in to it? Or otherwise have a PC that is open to the world and set up VPN on it? If that is the case, then I guess VPN is NOT for me.
          Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
          MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
          Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
          Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Sonicwall VPN client isn't bad if it works on your PC. I've seen 2 PCs that it kills off the RPC service on. Their support was less than helpful by insisting that it was Blaster that was doing it and refusing to change their stance on that.

I'd recommend testing the client on the PC(s) it will be running on before buying a Sonicwall. Third party clients don't work with Sonicwall.

The symptoms are: RPC error as install finishes. After computer has rebooted itself, it will work fine for about 4 weeks, then RPC error as soon as you log in.

This could just be a conflict with software that me and the other guy that had the problem run - hard to say with the lack of interest that Sonicwall showed.

Comment

Just remember if you have a virus outbreak at work and you're not protected at home you'll risk getting the virus when you connect to your work place. Also vice versa.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
                Typically, you use VPN to connect from home to work. You usually need a VPN Server, VPN Client, and in some cases encryption methods just to get a password to log into VPN. I'm not familiar with smaller VPN setups. It might be that there is some kind of VPN server software which should work for you. Typically though, software means that the connection is 10-12 times slower than normal.

This is what I am used to seeing.

Dave

edit: VPN Overview
                You should pay a visit to your pals at Linksys

They have a very easy to use (it's Linksys alright) BEFVP41 that works as endpoint for a VPN connection. You can even use 2 of them with DynDNS to setup a small VPN that works with NetBIOS. It's a 4port router that retails for 100$ (ballpark).

Click here to find out how to configure a win2k/xp client to connect remotely to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt
                  They have a very easy to use (it's Linksys alright) BEFVP41 that works as endpoint for a VPN connection.
                  Yep set a few of these up either with one at each end or one acting as a server with SSH Sentinel as the client. It acts as a VPN Server/Client, they do make an end point only VPN router called the BEFSX41, this is a bit cheaper.
                  When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Cool, looks like you at least know whats going on now. Its a bit of a bugger setting things up easily now days. I realy wish the internet wasnt full of little shits who spend their whole lives trying to break into networks.

Anyway, if you want to be secure, then a VPN server built into your router is the best way to go.

Ali

Comment

Working...
                    X