Firewall software/ Virus scanner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firewall software/ Virus scanner

Anyone here running a linksys BB Router setup? If so, do you have any experience with firewall and/or Virus scanner?

I ask because I'm exploring the options, and don't have any idea which of the many VS are good/bad/ugly.

Another reason is that Linksys used ot recommend ZoneAlarm Pro and PC-Cillin, but now they bundle or recommond the Norton Internet Security suite (of which I have read some terrible reviews).

Apparently my current router (and many others) have some integration between the firewall software and the router firmware (is this true?) and if so, I would like to know more.

Anyways, that aside, I've been demoing PC-Cillin, including the real-time scanner (which I normally don't like for performance reasons), and it seems to work pretty transparently (which I do like). Anyways, are there better options? All I need to do is catch the odd virus and occasionally do a manual scan. I'm not managing a server farm or anything, Other than I've got two computers through a wireless AP sharing the connection, and the odd visitor with a laptop.

Thanks in advance,
    CEM
    System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

AVG antivirus and a 486 linux box for your firewall.
    Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Usually NAT will do. Otherwise, WinXP SP2's firewall will do (on top of NAT). If you NEED a firewall, get a real firewall (a Cisco PIX 501E for example - and a good book about it). If you don't know about Linux and firewalls, stay away from it.

Comment

So nobody here bothers with stuff like zonealarm or blackice?

Interesting...

And I though I was the only one running exposed...
        System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

sygate personal firewall

you can define you own rules quite easily & comfortable, on top of a "normal" app-based approach.

mfg
          wulfman
          "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
          "Lobsters?"
          "Really? I didn't know they did that."
          "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Originally posted by moreau
            So nobody here bothers with stuff like zonealarm or blackice?

Interesting...

And I though I was the only one running exposed...
            Almost everybody is running exposed. I always try to convince friends et al to at least put zonealarm or the WinXP firewall. It doesn't have as much to do with security as with staying away from worms like blaster et al...

I'm protected

Comment

Working...
            X