Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firingsquad remembering the G400

Matrox G400

The other Canadian graphics company, Matrox, made their mark in 1999 with the gaming community with their Matrox Millenium G400 and G400 Max. With this card, Matrox briefly held the 3D performance and quality crown. It had environment mapped bump mapping, fast memory, great image quality, and dual head capability. In the end, it would be the G400's TV-out support that keeps the board in our labs today.

Even today, most TV-out implementations are compared to the G400. Matrox was able to output a clean 10-bit 1024x768 signal through the S-Video output, when others at the time could only do 800x600. The software engineers, recognizing that people usually ran their monitors at higher resolutions, added a downsampling feature to the TV-out.

This meant that if you ran your desktop at 1600x1200, the drivers would automatically downsample the image to 1024x768 before sending it out to the TV chip. You'd be able to maintain full quality on the desktop and see the "best possible" output on the TV. One thing to know is that the G400 TV-out worked perfectly in DOS and BIOS – as a cost cutting measure, the G450 TV-out wasn't as adept outside of Windows. Don't forget, with the G400, the TV-out chip was so complex that it needed its own heatsink…

Usability
    The G400 also had DVDMax, which automatically ran DVDs and any video played through the overlay at full screen on televisions. As a result, it was possible to have a DVD playing in a tiny window at the corner of your screen so that you could use your PC normally while also having a full-quality picture available on the TV. You never had to worry about primary versus secondary displays, and the direct connection between the overlay and TV output chip produced superb quality. This feature took years to become incorporated into video cards from other manufacturers.

Image quality enthusiasts also raved about the G400’s RAMDACs. This improved image quality on all applications, especially if you were running big monitors at high resolutions. On paper, they didn’t look that much more impressive than the competition, but you had no trouble finding enthusiasts who would swear by their quality.

So what happened after the G400?
    Matrox basically stagnated after the G400. The G450 was no faster than the G400, and by the time the Parhelia was released, it was overpriced and underperforming. Today Matrox has fallen back to the corporate and video environment and throughout the years since the G400, both engineers and support staff (marketing, software, etc.) found greener pastures. Cards such as the NVIDIA Quadro NVS are rapidly encroaching on their multi-display, and in the end, Matrox is falling into the shadow of the graphics industry. Although the G400 was a FiringSquad Editor's Choice product, I doubt we'll ever see another such product from Matrox.
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

I still have my G400max as main video card in my system ! I was waiting for another killer card from Matrox. The Parhelia is way too expansive.

G400max Roxxxxxxxxxxx forever !
    System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

Well.. I must send back my Parhelia, so i put G400 (MAX handly maked :P) in my PC

G400 For Ever !
      A CRAY is the only computer that runs an endless loop in just 4 hours...

Comment

yeh, I've got my G400 and RR-G stashed away in a closet - I refuse to give them up - I will throw these in a secondary system some day.
        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

I lost my G400 MAX when my ex and I ended it. It was in her sisters computer, and I was never able to get it back. Bitch.
          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

My G400Max is still my primary card. I'm looking for something to replace it with...but there's no hurry, and I'm not all that bothered.
            Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Ditto. Max to the Max!!!
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I have a G400 in my linux box for good reason.
                Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Still running mine in our HTPC/kids rig.
                  Watch DVDs through it 3-4 nights a week.
                  Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Another satisfied G400 owner. I bought it back in 2000 and just a couple of months later I got my self a RRG... still using this combo in my primary setup.

G400 has just a few shortcomings compared to a latest products IMHO, if we disregard 3D acceleration of course.

1. lack of proper (precise) gamma corection on 2nd output or just on video overlay. (still can be done by software and really fast CPU)

2. limited overlay surface/resolution (no workaround)

3. somewhat inferior scaling algorithm - which is not of much importance unless you are into "hard-core-videophile-HTPC" sect and own $10000 worth equipmet.

But still it is unbeatable when it comes to TV-output, not to mention SCART-RGB for us european guys.
                    Last edited by magician; 20 January 2004, 15:40.

Comment

Unfortunately, I stopped using my G400MAX some two weeks ago, and swapped it for AIW Radeon 9000 Pro.
                      It was simply too old for my needs, and with an AIW card I could free one of my PCI slots because I don't need a TV tuner any more... I'm pretty much satisfied with my new ATI, althoug I spent hours and hours to get the damned thing working with all the Catalysts and Multimedia Centers... 2D quality is satisfying, 3D is miles ahead of G400 but still I look at my G400MAX on the shelf and have a feeling I betrayed something... Pity Matrox decided to make a wrong turn for I'd still be using one of their cards if they weren't so expensive and underpowered. Marvel version of some kind of Parhelia card would be number one on my list but I don't think that's going to happen...

Nevertheless... All hail the mighty MAX!

Comment

Yup, the G400MAX was a great card.. probably the best out of Matrox in my opinion. It has a nice home in my secondary system.

Comment

My G400MAX has rested for a while, but it will come into use again next weekend when I build a presentation system for my parents' business...

We'll see if the G400Max can make friends with a Barco Data 800 CRT projector

Comment

Well, I parted out my system to clean it and I'm too lazy to put it back together so I'm using the G400Max as primary.

It's actually not that bad with UT2003 (well, better than I assumed it would be).

Comment

Working...
                            X