matrox g550 vs nVidia 5200FX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• matrox g550 vs nVidia 5200FX

I just was wondering about buying the matrox 550, I have the 5200 FX and don't do gaming just work in photoshop. Can anyone here give me any reason for not buying the matrox 550. And also is the G400 or G450 a better card. Need help !!!!

If you're going to be doing Photoshop, the G550 is probably best. The G400 has less advanced dual monitor support, and the G450 would be okay if you got a good deal on it.

But any Matrox card is going to have much better color vibrance, reproduction, and 2D clarity than an nVidia card.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Another question is the 550 is a 4x card and the 5200 is a 8x card just what does that mean is there going to be any loss of speed. I don't understand this part of video cards yet....

Comment

There will be no loss in speed because one card is a AGP 4x card and the other card is an AGP 8x. That only refers to the max amount of data that can be moved between the Northbridge (a central "hub" of the computer) and the video card. The only time that you ever come close to stressing that is when you are moving geometry and texture data across it (ie, when you are using the video card to render 3d images).
        "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

no, lack of AGP 8X won't loose you any speed.

AGP is an interface based on PCI, designed for graphics card. 4X AGP offers 1GB/s bandwidth between your graphics card and the computer's memory/northbridge. 8X is doubled, offering up to 2GB/s of bandwidth.

However, most graphics texture that requires even 1GB/s bandwidth. So basically 8X is just "there" and you won't see any speed improvement.

I have both GeForce FX 5200 and a G550. 2D is clearly sharper than a GeForce FX 5200 (mine is an Asus). But my 5200 also offers dual DVI ports, so 2D dramatically improves if you plan on using 2 LCDs with DVI input.

If you do a bit of 3D animation, however, I won't bother with G550. If its in your price range, ATI 9600 would e a great choice, with good 2D and excellent 3D. The 5200 is also fine if you do light 3D work.

G550 is getting outdated, if you really want Matrox, why not consider Millennium P650?

edit: some errors
          Last edited by Chrono_Wanderer; 19 January 2004, 21:50.

Comment

I think what people are trying to say is this:

1. You already own the GeFart. While I'd be happy to take it off your hands (PM me for my street address), why exactly are you looking for a different card? What are you doing that you're not satisfied with the performance of the nVidia?

2. Do you play games at all? Much as it pains me/us to admit it, the G550 is really inadequate for modern gaming.

3. The G550 is the latest evolution of the G400 chip series. There was some debate, when it came out, as to whether the 2D display was JUST A LITTLE sharper on the G400 than on the G450 or G550, but I think that discussion is long since moot.

So basically it boils down to - in what way does the GeFart not please you in Photoshop? And what's your budget to replace it? A Radeon 9600 can be had online for around $110, less if you're willing to get a refurbished or "SE" (special edition - slower 3D performance) version. Last time I priced Matrox cards, the G550 was just as much money. Now, admittedly the G550 has better 2D than the Radeon, but the Radeon 9600 is a great gaming card, too!

So it really depends on your needs. Why don't you fill us in a little more? By the way, welcome to MURC!

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

Thanks for the replys and here are the answers to your question as to why I'm not satisfied with the 5200. Basically I'm just looking for the best and cheapest card for doing a lot of work in my photoshop and the hum drum on the forums that I spend time on is that matrox is the best for 2d rendering and I also found the product for $45 through a store in my neiborhood and they will also take my card in trade. I would like to get the P650 or 750 but the price difference is quite a lot .... Lynn
              Ps unless you guys know of a place that you can get the newer cards for less, I'll just do with a out of date card that seems to be a well talked about card for 2d applications.....
              And do you think that this card is worth it or is the old card still good enough. The old card is not the ultra.
              Last edited by Lynn Ross; 20 January 2004, 06:33.

Comment

The 5200 is ... err ... like a $75 card. So how much will they give you for it?

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                X