Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ok, here it is, the Cat 4.1 drivers are out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok, here it is, the Cat 4.1 drivers are out!

The latest version of the CATALYST™ software suite is designed to support the following Microsoft Windows platforms:

Windows XP
    Windows 2000
    Windows Millennium Edition (ME)
    Windows 98/98SE through the ME driver
    New Features
    This section provides information on new features found in this release of the CATALYST™ Display Drivers. New features include:

ATI OVERDRIVE™ Enhancement
    OpenGL Shading Language Enhancement
    ATI OVERDRIVE™ Enhancement
    ATI OVERDRIVE™ maximizes the performance of the graphic accelerator by increasing the speed of the graphics processor. This is done by constantly monitoring the temperature of the graphics processor, so that the maximum clock speed can always be maintained.

The latest rendition of ATI OVERDRIVE™ now provides the user with more information on the temperature and frequency of their graphics processor. This feature is supported under the Windows XP, Windows 2000, and Windows 98/98SE and Millennium operating systems, and is supported on the following ATI RADEON™ products:

ATI RADEON™ 9800 XT
    ATI RADEON™ 9600 XT
    OpenGL Shading Language Enhancement
    This release improves support for the OpenGL Shading Language (GLSL), a flexible, forward-looking, and hardware-independent high-level graphics programming language. The OpenGL Shading Language, defined as an open standard by the OpenGL Architecture Review Board, allows application developers to take advantage of the powerful programmable vertex and pixel processing units present in the 3D graphics system. This release includes changes to increase compliance with the final ratified GLSL specifications, adds support for projective texture sampling, and improves support for interactions between GLSL-based rendering and traditional fixed-function vertex and pixel processing. Developers who are interested in using the OpenGL Shading Language should visit our website http://www.ati.com/developer for more details and documentation.

Issues Resolved in CATALYST™ Version 4.1
    The following section provides a summary of the issues that have been resolved in the latest release of CATALYST™ 4.1. These include:

Resolved Application Issues
    Resolved CATALYST™ Driver Issues
    Resolved Game Issues
    Resolved Application Issues
    This section provides information on application issues that have been resolved in the latest release of CATALYST™. These include the following:

Display corruption is no longer seen when running the applications 3DSMax or Inventor
    Moving a sample in the program SolidWorks 2003 or 2004 from one display to a secondary display no longer results in the sample not being refreshed on the secondary display
    Resolved CATALYST™ Driver Issues
    This section provides information on CATALYST™ driver issues that have been resolved in the latest release of CATALYST™. These include the following:

Starting the TV with a 4:3 aspect ratio in Overlay Theater Mode along with video out enabled no longer displays an error if the video window is dragged off screen
    Resolved Game Issues
    This section provides information on game issues that have been resolved in the latest release of CATALYST™. These include the following:

Playing the game Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON™ 9000 series card installed no longer results in the skaters' shadow not being completely drawn
    Playing the game Line of Sight Vietnam under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON™ 9200 series installed no longer results in the game menu appearing black when setting the Anti-Aliasing option to 1 or 2
    Changing the resolution in Halo while playing in the middle of a Campaign no longer results in a reboot of the machine. This issue was known to occur under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON™ 9000 series installed
    Running the game Halo PC under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON™ 9700 series installed no longer results in display corruption being seen on the barrel of the shot gun
    All cars are now being drawn properly when Anti-Aliasing is enabled and playing the game Race Driver by ToCA
    The game Ford Racing 2 no longer stutters when Anti-Aliasing is enabled
    The Star Wars game; Knights of the Old Republic is no longer failing to respond when moving the mouse to view the shore
    Setting the display resolution to 1024x768 32bpp and playing the game Nascar Racing 2003 demo, no longer results in the game failing to respond when OpenGL is enabled
    Setting the graphics option to 1024x768 in the game Beach Head 2002 no longer results in the game failing to launch and displaying an error message
    The Windows 2000 operating system no longer fails to respond when ending the game World Racing in a windowed mode
    Playing the game Neverwinter Nights under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON™ 9600 series card installed no longer results in the game failing to respond
    Playing the game IL2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles in OpenGL mode no longer results in flashing triangles and textures when playing the Black Death Track
    Known Issues
    The following section provides a brief description of known issues associated with the latest version of CATALYST™. These include the following:

Logging on as an Administrator under Windows XP and doing a fast user switch to limited user results in display corruption when playing a DVD with WinDVD version 4 or 5. This issue will be resolved in an upcoming CATALYST™ release. Further information on this issue can be found at: www.ati.com/support/infobase/AAAE.html
    Launching the game Tron 2.0 under Windows XP results in the game failing to respond after the game introduction is loaded. This issue will be resolved in an upcoming CATALYST™ release. Further information on this issue can be found at: www.ati.com/support/infobase/AAAC.html
    Launching the game Line of Sight: Vietnam and setting the graphics option to 800x600 16bpp result in the game failing to respond when selecting a new game. This issue will be resolved in an upcoming CATALYST™ release. Further information on this issue can be found at: www.ati.com/support/infobase/AAAD.html
    Playing the game Nascar 2003 with the display resolution set to 1280x1024 32bpp results in display corruption being seen. This issue will be resolved in an upcoming CATALYST™ release. Further information on this issue can be found at: www.ati.com/support/infobase/AAAI.html
    Setting the video resolution to 1280x1024 in the game Medal of Honor: Spearhead, along with Anti-Aliasing set to 2x results in the main menu of the game not displaying properly. This issue is known to occur under Windows 9x with an ATI RADEON™ 9200 series installed. This issue will be resolved in an upcoming CATALYST™ release. Further information on this issue can be found at: www.ati.com/support/infobase/4355.html
    User defined colour setting are currently not being retained when exiting a 3D game or application. This issue will be resolved in an upcoming CATALYST™ release. Further information on this issue can be found at: www.ati.com/support/infobase/4315.html
    Significant performance loss is noticed in Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. This issue is already resolved and a fix will be available in the next CATALYST™ driver release
    Playing the game Prince of Persia under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON 9500 PRO and higher series may result in the light sources occasionally appearing through textures. This happens with Anti Aliasing enabled. This issue is currently under investigation by ATI and the game developer to determine the cause. Further information may be found at: www.ati.com/support/infobase/4364.html.

sweeeet!!!!!

thx ayoub!

Comment

As soon as I can reboot my computer......
      damn download......
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Edit: *Self-censored.*

- Gurm
        Last edited by Gurm; 20 January 2004, 05:42.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

YAY I nice little companion for my ASUS 9800XT-DVT (or whatever letters they are using this month) when it arrives

T.
          FT.

Comment

From the release-notes, it seems like a rather minor update....
            But we named the *dog* Indiana...
            My System
            2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
            German ATI-forum

Comment

So what are the going feelings on this one so far? What are the most loved, problem free cats to date? I'm still running really old ones out of fear.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                Edit: *Self-censored.*

- Gurm
                But we all know what you were talking about, and you didn't really say anything anyway. Are *TI really that *nal?
                FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
                  So what are the going feelings on this one so far? What are the most loved, problem free cats to date? I'm still running really old ones out of fear.
                  The Catalyst 3.10 set might not be the fastest of the pack but according to general feedback seem to be among the best regarding stability / general troublefreeness.
                  Cat3.7 seem to be among the fastest, but since the differences are generally minor anyway, I'd go with the 3.10 - at least as long as we don't know how good the 4.1 are...
                  But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                  My System
                  2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                  German ATI-forum

Comment

They're not that anal, I just realized after reflection that I was once again tooting my own horn, and not saying anything that everyone didn't already know.

But my NDA _is_ pretty strict, y'know?

- Gurm
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Yeah....I've been really happy with the 3.10s and think I'll stay here for awhile, or until the next crash.

Comment

Well, they didn't kill the system yet. True that I've only been playing Alice and a bit of Freelancer with them, not enough to judge.
                        They seem to be on the right track with fixing some flickering textures under OpenGL with fast writes on (Quake 3 based games mostly), not enough to determine me to keep FW on.

Comment

Nah, Fast Writes are a waste. The only reason to enable them on ATI cards WAS that they fixed a crash in CoD with the Radeon 9600. But that bug is gone with 3.10 and 4.1, so there really is precious little reason to enable them. Add to that the fact that for MOST chipsets they cause instability, and you have a definite no-go.

Johnny - the 4.1's are just as stable as the 3.10's, but it's true that unless one of the listed bugfixes is bothering you that it's a minor upgrade. So why is this one called 4.1? I'm not entirely sure, but I would (UNOFFICIALLY) guess that they changed something substantial internally. Or it could be that they just didn't want to get to version 3.1.1 (eek! EVIL!). *shrug*

- Gurm

Comment

Rumors are that it stands for 2004, Version 1... which makes sense considering the 3 series had a 1 and a 10.

Comment

That would certainly make sense, yeah.

- Gurm

Comment

Working...
                              X