IE popup blocker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IE popup blocker

Can anyone recommend a good popup window blocker for IE (running IE 6 on W2KAS)? No posts about alternative browsers please! I've used WebWasher in the past but it blocks vbb popups. Perhaps there's a way to configure WebWasher to allow vbb popups or at least on specific URLs; I haven't seen this ability. Will Google Toolbar do what I want?
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Google Toolbar 2.0 does it very well. The toolbar will allow you to easily disable it when needed, too. And you get access to Google searches on the toolbar, which is cool.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Thanks Jammrock. How does Google TB distinct which popups are desirable?
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I second the recommendation for the Google Toolbar. It's very effective.
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Got google toolbar installed at work doesn't seem to do a lot.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I read some of their documentation and it states that they manage a "whitelist" of sites where you can allow popups. I'll install it and see how well it does.

Comment

Google isn't installing because it says IE has browser helper objects disabled and it wants to enable them. Apparently these are COM components. I have ActiveX disabled; is that the setting that its complaining about? I don't want to weaken my security in order to run this tool.

P.S. Never mind. It looks like its the "Enable third-party browser extensions" option.
              Last edited by xortam; 19 January 2004, 15:03.

Comment

Google pop up blocker is disabled by holding down the ctrl key before clicking the link you wnat to go to. OF course, you can disable it all together by clicking the pop up blocker icon. It's very easy to use/enable/disable.

Dave
                Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Checked out a popup site and it got blocked. I'll check out the popup allow feature if somebody wants to PM me. I didn't install the advanced options because of the spyware.

Comment

Google toolbar work fine for me
                    A CRAY is the only computer that runs an endless loop in just 4 hours...

Comment

I use PopupCop. I might have used Google Toolbar, if it had been available at the time I was making a purchase decision. As a longtime user of Popup Stopper, I was upset when new types of popups came out and Popup Stopper didn't catch them - and it STILL doesn't, almost a year later.

Popup Cop catches EVERYTHING, it cleans my cookies in an automatic way, it provides an easy way to quickly disable/enable scripting, ActiveX, etc.

I like it a lot.

- Gurm
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                        I use PopupCop. I might have used Google Toolbar, if it had been available at the time I was making a purchase decision. As a longtime user of Popup Stopper, I was upset when new types of popups came out and Popup Stopper didn't catch them - and it STILL doesn't, almost a year later.

Popup Cop catches EVERYTHING, it cleans my cookies in an automatic way, it provides an easy way to quickly disable/enable scripting, ActiveX, etc.

I like it a lot.

- Gurm
                        Same here

Comment

Google toolbar is pretty nice overall. My only real beef is how it "hangs" for a few seconds when a window would normally be popping up.

Comment

Yep.

Oh, did I mention that Popupcop automates the process of allowing/disallowing ActiveX controls and auto-installing software?

- Gurm
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                            I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                            X