DDR2 not mainstream this year unless price falls massively

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDR2 not mainstream this year unless price falls massively

Intel’s upbeat projection for Prescott processors and subsequent boost in demand for DDR2 memory got a cold shoulder from several local motherboard makers, as they remain conservative about the actual adoption rate of DDR2 memory this year.

Unless DRAM makers can narrow the price gap between DDR and DDR2 chips to under 20%, DDR2 memory is not likely to become a mainstream choice before the end of this year, local board makers said.

DDR2 chips are estimated to enjoy close to a 100% price premium over DDR chips. The gap is mainly due to the limited number of suppliers. Companies that have introduced DDR2 chips are Elpida Memory, Micron Technology and Samsung Electronics.

Intel will roll out its Prescott processor, which supports DDR2 memory, in the second quarter, and has set an aggressive target to capture a 40% share in the desktop PC processor market before the end of this year.

DDR2 chips are estimated to enjoy close to a 100% price premium over DDR chips. Mobo makers: DDR2 not mainstream this year unless price falls massively Unless DRAM makers can narrow the price gap between DDR and DDR2 chips to under 20%, DDR2 memory is not likely to become a mainstream choice before the end of this year, local board makers said. Companies that have introduced DDR2 chips are Elpida, Micron Technology and Samsung Electronics. Charles Chou and Emma Wang, Taipei; Chinmei Sung, DigiTimes.com

RDRAM was more than twice the price of DDR when it came out, didn't stop some people from buying it though
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Taz
      RDRAM was more than twice the price of DDR when it came out, didn't stop some people from buying it though
      SOME - certainly not 40%!
      is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
      Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

Originally posted by borat
        SOME - certainly not 40%!
        I never said they would

There are those people who must have the lastest and greatest and they'll buy them regardless of cost. Sure this is the minority not the majority.
        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

40% eh? so the rest are going AMD

jk

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer
            40% eh? so the rest are going AMD

jk
            My thoughts exactly.
            "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

DDR2 is a joke in my opinion. Its going to suffer from similar problems that Rambus had when it came out... high bandwidth but at the expense of high latency. Oh boy a 600MHz memory chip that needs 5-8-8-9 timing to run.
              However from what I've seen, Intel processors seem to benefit more from high bandwidth memory and isn't effected as much from high latency, while AMD processors benefit more from low latency and actually outperform high clock rates by keeping the latency very low at lower clock rates.

Comment

Originally posted by rylan
                DDR2 is a joke in my opinion. Its going to suffer from similar problems that Rambus had when it came out... high bandwidth but at the expense of high latency. Oh boy a 600MHz memory chip that needs 5-8-8-9 timing to run.
                which is still quicker than a 2-3-3-3 chip at 200MHz. And once the RAM gets going, the bandwidth is much sweeter.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

mmm, bandwidth
                  "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

It depends on what type of data you are accessing in the memory. Personally I'd take low latency 400MHz ddr over high latency 600MHz DDR2, especially with an AMD processor.

What I'm bugged by is that this "new" technology isn't anything new at all.. its the same memory archetecture as we have now with differant timings to allow a high clock rate.

Comment

Working...
                    X