How to nail a spammer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to nail a spammer?

Just recieved another of these "Grow Ur Penis" spam emails.

The originator is someone working for www.pillpromote.com

Christ I would like to kick the owner of that site in the balls. Not just once, but over an extended period.

Any way to legally (or illegally) deal with this blighter?

What he's doing is prob. illegal. It IS in Denmark, but how to get hold of him?

The www.un.org should handle these cases. They have a department for handling cybersquatting, right?

Im just annoyed, thats all. Rambling.
    I have tried to keep my old and private email account VERY private. I have never posted it public, I never sign with anything but my @hotmail.com adress...

But..
    My sweet but ignorant little sister just emailed me the "send this to all your friends and win a free nokia mobile phone" to BOTH my email accounts - the one at the UNI and the one at my home adress. Less than 12 hours later - SPAM...

Off course she's sorry, but really nothing she can do now.

Im mad as hell, why the **** couldt she THINK before spoilling everyone in her contactlists email adresses?

Its not like she's "too young to know" - more like to old (she's turning 30 in a month). She's nearly majoring as a doctour. And in Denmark, THATS an education that teaches you NOTHING about computers. Sigh.

I just keep rambling, eh?
    But I can feel the steam releasing, so bear with me...

Any help for me, or have I just lost my 2 remaning private email adresses? Anything?

ThankYou for letting me vent,
    ~~DukeP~~

Get a good e-mail filter.
    Buy a wooden base ball bat, and some 9" nails, using a hammer combine base ball bat and nails so pointy ends are sticking out.
    Go to the listed address of said site. have a long conversation with the owner using application of your newly created persuasion tool.
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

.. or stencil onto the back of his car, in big red letters, the words

SMALL PENIS HERE!

With any luck he will drive off without looking at the back of the car.. serves him right!

Comment

Two possibilities:

1. Use a spam filter

2. Ignore and delete the spam

I personally go with no. 2, because it takes only a click of the mouse or the press of a key to quickly delete mails, and I wouldn't want a spam filter accidentally marking one important mail as spam (and what good would a spam filter be if I had to look at every email it classified as spam anyway?).

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

AZ

I use POPFile filtering system. This classifies all incoming e-mail and puts each one in the correct Thunderbird mailbox and the spam goes into the Trash box. After reading my e-mails, I open the Trash box, quickly skim through the contents (Subject and Sender) as a double-check against the very rare occurrence of a false positive, right-click on Trash and click on Empty Trash. This is much less time consuming than your solution 2. The overall classifying accuracy of POPFile, for me, with 7 "buckets" is currently 99.26% over 15,585 messages, although many users report even better results. Of these, only 49 were false positives in the Trash box, a mere 0.3% of potential errors, which usually stand out like a sore thumb. Believe me, Bayesian filtering has made leaps and bounds in the right direction over the past year or so.

I agree that, although a simple spam/ham filter is good, it is less useful than an overall classifying system, like POPFile.

I make no apologies about advertising PF: I have no vested interest in it, other than as a very satisfied user. In any case, I could hardly have an interest because it is open-source freeware

See http://popfile.sourceforge.net/
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Sometimes they have a local phone number, I love calling them (after hiding my number) and if I get an answering machine, leave them a nice threat.
            If there's an actual person answering, it's fun time
            "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

ThankYou for all the ideas..
              There is (off course) no phone number at the compagny website - not even an email adress.

Ill Check out PopFile Brian, Thankyou!

KV, If I knew where his car were, he would have bigger problems than red paint....

Thanks again. As for now, I have reported the first couple of spams via spamcop. That IS really the only thing I can do with small compagnies not represented in EU.
              As for larger compagnies, I have succesfully repelled both MiCrosoft and Ford - they both have a presence in Denmark, so they are (in accordance with the danish law) responsible for the actions of their parent.
              Although both firms barked at having anything to do with the spam emails I recived (they were both advercating the purchase of ford and ms products through a reseller), they caved in when faced with (veiled) threats of prosecution by the danish governments consumer representative.
              Eventually I got an apology, and an assurance, that the named reseller would no longer be able to trade their products.

A small victory, but if I can persuade MS and Ford to stop their (direct or indirect) finacial support of spammers, then theres still hope..

~~DukeP~~

Comment

:up
                "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Here you go, have fun.

Registrant:
                  Turvill Consultants Limited 265 Port Union Rd Suite 15525 Scarborough, Ontario M1C 2L3 CA
                  416-536-6020 Fax:416-536-4585

Domain Name: PILLPROMOTE.COM

Administrative Contact:
                  ADMINISTRATOR, DNS brian@cupidcams.com 265 Port Union Rd Suite 15525 Scarborough, Ontario M1C 2L3 CA 416-536-6020 Fax:416-536-4585

Technical Contact:
                  ADMINISTRATOR, DNS brian@cupidcams.com 265 Port Union Rd Suite 15525 Scarborough, Ontario M1C 2L3 CA 416-536-6020 Fax:416-536-4585
                  Last edited by Duty; 20 January 2004, 02:15.
                  -We stop learning when We die, and some
                  people just don't know They're dead yet!

Member of the COC!
                  Minister of Confused Knightly Defence (MCKD)

Food for thought...
                  - Remember when naps were a bad thing?
                  - Remember 3 is the magic number....

Comment

ThankYou!!!!
                    Let the CounterSpam begin..

Comment

Hey, that's 24.6km from here! If only I owned a rocket propelled grenade launcher...
                      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

first email the dude and ask him to be taken off the list, and all lists he has sold your email to.. then bombard him
                        I too live just a short drive from there.. I could go pay him a visit
                        We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Hey, me and tjalfe could make a pretty decent brute squad. We're both over 6'6" if I recall correctly.
                          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
                            Hey, me and tjalfe could make a pretty decent brute squad. We're both over 6'6" if I recall correctly.
                            Yup.. 6'8" here.. Let's go kick some spamming a$$!
                            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by DukeP
                              ThankYou!!!!
                              Let the CounterSpam begin..
                              Not a problem, I hate spammers.

Jeff
                              -We stop learning when We die, and some
                              people just don't know They're dead yet!

Member of the COC!
                              Minister of Confused Knightly Defence (MCKD)

Food for thought...
                              - Remember when naps were a bad thing?
                              - Remember 3 is the magic number....

Comment

Working...
                              X