Yet Another TV license thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet Another TV license thread

Haven't had a tv is this house for over 2 years, as well as 2 years in the last house.

We have however been recieving lots of letters, these rotate between the mild reminder and the mildly threatening, once they even sent the "we know you have bought some audio/visual equipment", that would the projector then.

The point is it has taken them two years and 30 letters to actually track us down in this house and then they send round an enquiry officer during the day when any normal person is at work.

If they come at the weekend I am going to have quite a bit of fun giving them hassle on the doorstep, after of course the knocking on the inside of the door every time they knock on the outside.

If you're legit it might actually be worth being efficient with them... at least at first, anyway. After all, whilst I'm sure that you could cause them lots of hassle, they are getting paid overtime for taking it, and could easily cause you lots and lots of hassle in return, even if it's legally unwarranted - and you don't get paid for it
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Am legit and fair point.

To be efficient two years ago would have meant doing their job for them as they still have to come round a check, would have been inviting them out for a very easy afternoon, this way they aren't sure what they are in for.

Comment

A license for having a TV..

You know, we get by without those in the states.

Comment

You know, we get by without those in the states.
          Perhaps, but we dont have ads on our TV!
          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
            neither do we.. at least 75% of the time... we do have a couple of channels with no adds on them, though they are not usually filled with very good programming.
            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
              Eh?? ITV CH4 and CH5 have adds and BBC advertises it's own programmes in a annoying manner. So we do have adds.

My TV spends 99% of it's time not activated cos our TV is shit. I use for news live football and teletext to keep track of the football scores unless I'm out watching it.

Worth the license fee I say not. Best comedies are years old, keep showing fools and horses as they can't do any better normally.

Says it all when the cable rep comes round agreas with us for that pointless having 45 channals of shit as well.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Well, ads give you a chance to get up and use the toilet.

I remember years ago there used to be a regular feature on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.. he would show hilarious ads from other countries that we never got to see here. They were way better than the sneering American-type ads we get.

Comment

Got that kind of licence madness here in sweden as well
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Hee hee! You should see what they did in this banana republic (yes, bananas are grown here!). They used to have a system as per the UK, but no one to police it and no detector vans. Surprise, surprise, they found that few were paying their licence fees.

So, what did they do? You won't believe this. They added a surcharge to every electricity bill as a percentage. So that large consumers without a TV, such as factories, were paying through the nose while households that used electricity only for lighting and the TV paid next-to-nothing. Even for our all-electric house with storage heating and aircon, as well as many appliances in the kitchen as well as the oven and hob, plus 4 computers, we were paying about CYP 5 every other month, on an average. This cause much dissatisfaction and I suspect that it was abandoned because it was not acceptable under the acquis communataire for entry in the EU. As the money went to the government-run QUANGO, the Cyprus Broadcasting Corp., a couple of years ago it was decided that the CyBC would be funded out of a Government budget, the cost of which would be paid for by a 0.5% slice of a 1% VAT increase, which was apparently acceptable by the EU. So the TV is now paid for by the large end-consumers, rather than the large electricity consumers (although these pay the extra VAT on their own consumption, anyway). So you can't have a "fair" system of licensing, other than the UK-style system of a household or any other place with a TV set purchasing an annual licence to use it, even if you never watch the BBC.

Incidentally, I used to be a ham in the 1940s/50s: the transmitter license gave you the right to transmit but not to receive. You had to have a separate radio licence for a ham receiver, even if it was for SW only, unable to receive broadcast LW and MW transmissions (this was before FM), unless the household already had a radio. I know when the inspectors came for the transmitter (to ensure the power, frequency and harmonics were correct), they always asked to see the radio licence.
                    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

We are ment to pay for the local channel here. Most Japanese pay it, but as I'm not into the old samurai dramas I avoid it.

conversations usually go in the following manner.

NHK guy (all in Japanese): Hi this is xxx from NHK

Me: I don't have a tv

NHK guy: are you sure you know who I am

Me: yes i don't have a tv, i have a computer I watch dvd's

NHK guy: (thinking he must attend an english conversation school) sorry for bothering you.

--- or ---
                      NHK guy (all in Japanese): Hi this is xxx from NHK

Me: I don't have a tv

NHK guy: but you still have to pay

Me: why?

NHK Guy: it's the law

Me: what happens if i don't pay?

NHK guy: nothing, but you have to pay it's the law.

Me: Thankyou for your time, goodbye
                      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq

Me: what happens if i don't pay?

NHK guy: nothing, but you have to pay it's the law.
                        ROFL

Smart guys
                        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

We also have those here as well.

Comment

Here we have public television that is on a voluntary pay scheme. Seems to work out pretty well.

Comment

Wow... Licensing For TV's And Everything... Who would have thought...

AFAIK - No Fee's here For local channels... and the local channels are decent... with a moderate size antenna we get 7 on a good day and 4 even in the worst weather.

The Only Fee's we have are cable fee's and Sat program fee's
                              AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                              AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                              Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                              Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Working...
                              X