Rant on portable gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rant on portable gaming

Just saw another stupid N-Gage commercial.

"This is where I got further with Lara than anyone else. (Whoops, I'm a super geek 'cause I was talking 'bout a vidjo game! Hope you didn't infer that I was actually with a girl!)"

What a POS! What the heck was Nokia thinking? You have to remove the battery to swap game cartridges!

Anyone here actually own or used an N-Gage?

How disappointed r u?

I haven't seen a single positive game review yet.

I'm looking forward to the PSP and maybe the next Nintendo offering.

Anyone heared any good rumours on either of those?

The rumour with PocketPC is that the next version of the PocketPC platform is going to require 3D acceleration and that MS is going to set some pretty aggressive minimum hardware requirements for hardware vendors to receive certification.

On the other hand, there's a strong rumour that MS is about to drop the PocketPC platform in favour of smartphone and smaller Windows Tablet devices.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

maybe this be in General Hardware/Software forum, but anyways....

That's what i hate about Microsoft. Software on PPC 2003 doesn't work on PPC 2002. And I bet this is going to happen again for the next PPC release.

And that is why i went for Palm, at least their software is much more backward competible.

If I went to get a PPC 2003 device I bet it will become garbage when the next PPC comes out...

Palm OS 6 was jsut released a week ago. It has a more "full" multitasking. (the only multitasking thing i have see on OS5 is play music while doing some other stuff). Only problem with palm is they need to realize handhelds as a "computer". not just an organizer.

They should implement better hardware IMO. But still maintain the competibility, unlike Microsoft.

I would love to see such PDA from Palm:
    - Built-in bluetooth and wifi
    - Build-in video/photo camera
    - Built-in voice recording
    - Uses PowerVR MBX for 3D.
    - 480x640@16bit LCD
    - 128MB RAM
    - 1500mAH batter won't hurt

On the software side:

- True multitasking
    - Better web capability
    - More "sleek" interface (launcher, like the XLauncher)
    - Adapt OpenGL-ES (fully backward competible)

and of course:

- 64bit
    - Kitchen Sink

Comment

Hey Chrono,

I think we're going to agree on some points and disagree on others.

I think that PPC as a platform has way better cross-version compatibility than Palm. And as for software optimized for a certain version of an OS (either Palm or PocketPC), it only makes sense that it's not going to be backwards compatible.

I do agree with you on an important distinction between the two platforms:

-PPC is a computer that can PIM
      -Palm is a PIM that can compute

I've done development work for both platforms and I have to say that Palm is a joke to program for. To do anthing non-trivial, one has to employ several different languages and usually license third party components to faciliate db use and pc sync.

With the PPC, MS has provided a very nice platform with built-in support for databasing, networking, syncing, high level and low level graphics, the list goes on.

When I have to do a pda project I always try to convince the customer to go with PPC. I make less money because the development is faster and easier, but there are so many fewer headaches. They almost invariably go for Palm though; it's cheaper to buy 20 Palms than 20 PPCs.

And PPC has had true multitasking for a very long time.
      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

I think the N-gage is a good idea, but it is just too...techi....
        true portable gaming...: Laptop, Wireless Net, Sennheiser Headphones...

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer

- Build-in video/photo camera
          built in cam is imediatly a reason to avoid ANY palm pda, I'm still a bit miffed over the cam in the z-71, that pushes the price into "more expensive than the better tungsten models"
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
            built in cam is imediatly a reason to avoid ANY palm pda, I'm still a bit miffed over the cam in the z-71, that pushes the price into "more expensive than the better tungsten models"
            absolutely agreed. And even the external cams are a joke. I bought for the girlfriend the Tungsten T with the Veo digicam. We made exactly two photos, since then the camera is a toy for the cats, as the quality of pics was extremely bad.

@Schmosef: seems they plan to use 32MB instead of the original planned 8 MB for the PSP according to gamesindustry.biz

Rakido
            "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Working...
            X