Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Machine Upgrade This Week! (Advice welcomed...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machine Upgrade This Week! (Advice welcomed...)

So I'm upgrading my machine this week, due to several interesting circumstances.

I currently run:

Athlon XP 1800+
    MSI 745 Ultra
    512MB of Crucial PC2100 + 512MB of Edge DDR400.
    Radeon 8500 (Original)
    Plextor 4x +R and Lite-On 16x ROM
    3Com NIC
    Audigy eX (softmodded to Audigy2 eX)
    120GB Seagate (Barracuda V silent)
    120GB WD Caviar SE (faster but not so silent)
    etc.

Now, I'm unloading the guts of my machine, and upgrading.

I'm thinking about the following:

Athlon XP "Barton" 2500+ (~$90)
    ASROCK 748 w/SATA, RAID, USB2.0 (~$60)
    512MB of Crucial PC2700 + keep the Edge DDR400 (~$75)
    160/200GB SATA Seagate to replace the WD

Also maybe upgrade the Plextor 4x +R to either a Pioneer A06/106 or an NEC 2500 (8x, combo). The reason I'd consider the Pioneer is that it's the ONLY current-gen drive which has already been demonstrated to burn dual-layer media.

Last but not least, if I can find a cheap 9500 Pro on eBay I might jump to that and softmod it to a 9700.

Anyway, I'd welcome advice. I have no particular love of the AMD platform. If someone can provide some actual evidence that a P4 board/chip combo in roughly the same price bracket would be better, I'd certainly be willing to consider it. I know that at least for SOME applications, such as video rendering and whatnot, that the HT P4's will outperform an equivalent Athlon handily.

Or, I'd be willing to consider other chipsets. VIA is right out, but nForce isn't outside the realm of possibility if the price is relative commeasurate.

Ok, fire away! I'm not ordering anything until tomorrow at the earliest, so I've got a good 24 hours to ruminate and accept suggestions.

- Gurm

P.S. Can anyone speak to the issue of cases? They've gotten a lot more expensive than they were a couple years ago. Back then I could get a good InWin S500/A500 for $79 and have a pretty decent power supply inside it. Nowadays, I see $100 cases with NO power supplies. What happened? What's a good case nowadays?
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Would you consider a Athlon 64?

Comment

Well I probably would keep the current RAM and put more money on the CPU. A 3000+ would be much nicer.
      System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

You miss the point. I can't use 266mhz RAM with a 333mhz CPU. Well, actually the motherboard would probably let me but that would just be silly.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

GURM,
          This is the case I have:

I like it a lot.
          The HD buffered mounts realy help with noise.
          chuck
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Case wise I'd go for a Cheiftec or Coolermaster but it depends on the size you want and how much noise you can put up with
            When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Oops silly me :S
              System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

Well, I want quiet, and it has to fit under this desk - which means not too tall.

- Gurm

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                  Well, I want quiet, and it has to fit under this desk - which means not too tall.

- Gurm
                  The one I listed is 18.5" tall.
                  What is your clearence?
                  chuck
                  Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

What about this?

When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

DDr333 and DDR400 are basically the same price, so go for DDR400. Also, if you want to try to run your AMD as a 3200+, the DDR333 won't allow you a 200MHz FSB (unless you're lucky).

Comment

Chuck: Yeah I think that'll fit. I think my clearance is like 20" but I'll re-measure.

Taz: That looks nice, yeah! I'll have to see how much it is around here!

Kurt: The price difference is about 25%. Crucial 512MB DDR333 is $73. Crucial 512MB DDR400 is $95. But no, the $20 won't break the bank so I might consider it.

- Gurm

Comment

Hey another question - anyone know if SATA makes a PRACTICAL difference? I mean, this ASROCK board has SATA on it. My current drives are ATA133... but they're also the FASTEST ATA133 drives. 120GB Special Editions. Will going to a SATA version of the same drive REALLY be a noticeable speed improvement? I ask because I _could_ unload the WD and get a Seagate SATA. Or, I could just skip the new drive altogether, and save some $$ for other stuff (like video).

- Gurm

Comment

Gurm - You won't notice any speed difference with serial ATA. You'll just notice less clutter in your case.

Comment

What about the Asus A7N8X-Deluxe V2?
                              The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Working...
                              X