Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashing Numlock Light

My mates PC is a little strange

Been working for a few years, suddenly stopped, said I'd have a look at it and switched it on last night, worked fine.

One strange issue though, if it has my keyboard plugged in it doesn't boot at all, with another keyboard it boots up fine, apart from the keyboard error on bootup saying not present and then while in windows the numlock light continually flashes. (On for 4.5 hours last night) Both keyboards are fine in any other PC.

Switched it on again this morning and it seem ok again, other then the flashing numlock light.

What do you reckon, motherboard, PSU??

Its very old (Celereon 333) so I don't really have older parts to replace bits.

Taking wild stabs in the dark here....

I think it's the motherboard (just a hunch, don't have anything to back that up). Try this: in the BIOS settings, there may be a setting called something like "Keyboard clock rate". If there is, set it to the lowest setting (8KHz, or is it 8MHz?) and see if that helps.

Good luck...
    Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Just as a matter of interest is the mouse of the PS/2 type and have you tried changing it?
      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Mouse I am testing with is USB, don't have access to a PS/2 mouse anymore.

Keyboard is PS/2, tried three keyboards all PS/2

Comment

It could be the PS2 ports are going south. You should also see how it goes will all USB (KB+mouse).

Comment

Working...
          X