9700 Pro: Best puter investment I've ever made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9700 Pro: Best puter investment I've ever made

I mean really, this card has been so bad ass for the last 18 months. It is still considered one of the best cards on the market as far as game speed is concerned. It has a super sharp image at 1600x1200 and less. And it has been relatively bug free for several months now. I had a nasty problem for a long time, but it has somehow disappeard. Maybe it was disabling fast writes, but whatever it was, it's gone.

All in all, I can't complain one bit. If you put a price on it over the last 18 months, I've spent about ~$22/month. I'll probably have the card until the R423 comes out. At that point, it will have cost me about ~$16/month. That's a good deal to me.

Unfortunately, the text and images blur after 1600x1200 and the color gets washed.

I'm looking forward to the nextgen ATI product.

Dave
    Last edited by Helevitia; 14 January 2004, 23:03.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

agree. 9700 PRO is still some of the best cards out there, even after 1.5yrs of release. It can play the most advanced games out with all effects turned ON, totally amazing and rariety for a graphics card.

Its sort of like the G400 MAX i guess. (dual head) hmm. Looking back, this idea of Matrox is truly innovative. (unlike some arse-casting engine )

would be even better if its dual DVI.

I'd think... R420...
    - DX 9.1
    - PCI-Express 16X

just those features will last you a VERY long time!

Comment

I'd think... R420...
      - DX 9.1
      - PCI-Express 16X

just those features will last you a VERY long time!
      The PCI-Ex version is supposed to be the R423.
      It's rumoured to have 1600Mhz GDDR3(50GB of bandwidth!)
      It's also supposed to have PS/VS 3.0(aka DX9.1)

Of course, these numbers usually fall when the product is released, but it is still fun to look at

Dave
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I think when ATI was developing the R300. They overestimated NVIDIA.

It had a lot more than I expected.

edit: oh ya, Radeon 9500 PRO IMO is also a very good purchase. (8 Pixel Pipeline)

Comment

I am very happy with mine!

Cheer Ayoub!
          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Gotta agree with it being my best card purchase ever.

Comment

I agree, I have said it before.

I don't regret getting my 9700 pro.

Comment

It definately is a good investment... now if only I didn't get infinite loops or other weird problems on my 875 chipset with it

Comment

I think I'm gonna pick up a used 9500 Pro on eBay. I can probably get one for well under $100, and it'll provide a nice companion to the Barton 2500+ and SiS 748 I'm picking up this week as well.

- Gurm
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

I'm stil happy with my comparativly slow 9600xt
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I like my R9800 AIW alot......
                      gameplay, video captures and MMC 8.8 work perfectly!

Comment

The 9700 was even better. I got it for a good 50% cheaper with only +/- 10% speed difference in high res (which I don't care because I rarely go above 800*600).

It lasted until a month or so ago when I replaced it with a Sapphire 9800Pro Ultimate (Zalman heatpipe).

Comment

Yah, I game at 1024x768. I'm thinking I'll get a 9500 and softmod it to 9700.
                          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                          I would still get screwed

Comment

I've yet to find a game that I can't play acceptably with my Radeon 8500LE 128MB DDR. Until I do, I'm not upgrading. I may pick up a 9600 Pro just before they're discontinued if I can find one cheap enough...
                            Last edited by agallag; 15 January 2004, 15:23.
                            Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Damn you, damn you all!

Still stuck using my GeForce2 Pro 64mb. I want a Radeon, but.... well you know, money?? Yeah.
                              Titanium is the new bling!
                              (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Working...
                              X