During capture I get slight pausing, sorta like "hiccups"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• During capture I get slight pausing, sorta like "hiccups"

Anyone know what could cause this? I'm positive the CPU and HD can handle the datarate, the swapfile is on the same drive as the capture also. I can notice during high motion (This is all during the capture process, and VD is showing overlay) that there are slight hiccups or quick pauses, it doesn't actually affect the capture which is why im not bothered by it too much, a frame doesnt get dropped. Not much is shared with the actual card except for ACPI to USB stuff and IRQ steering and a SCSI controller which was shared before in my old PC and never had a problem, and my HDs arent SCSI either. My setup is also capable of capturing HuffyYUV at full resoultion so I don't think its a datarate problem. Anyone know?

What is VD?

Generally the swap file and capture file(s) shouldn't be on the same hard drive. You could try moving it.

If you are not dropping frames, I asume video overlay data is getting the lowest priority (as it should) and you are probably running out of PCI bandwidth.

What motherboard and IDE controller chipset?
    The highpoint controller on many VIA based motherboards is notorious for poor real world streaming performance. Some PCI sound cards also "hog" the bus.

I get poor preview performance (PIII-500)during capture over firewire but as long as I'm not dropping frames who cares? There is a perfectly good "preview" on the camcorder's LCD screen.

--wally.

Comment

VD = VirtualDub

ABit KT7-RAID motherboard with Highpoint Controller :P

Is there possibly a way I can fix this? BTW, I would appreciate it if you could also read the other post I made "Video corruption in specific areas".

Comment

If you can find a fix for the problems with the Highpoint IDE controller you'll be a hero to lots of folks. So the answer is I'm aware of the problems, but not of a solution.

Your problem with the subtitles in the other thread is nothing I've run across. What is the video source on this? i.e. TV/Cable/satallite (video over RF?) or VCR (composite, Svideo, or RF?) If its an RF source I like the other fellow's suggestion of runing it thru your VCR and capturing from the composite or Svideo outputs. The Marvel ACG circut seems to cause problems with anything but pristine RF video. I know mine would often capture only black and white on really strong over the air stations unless I moved the "rabbit ears" to a poorer reception location.

--wally.

Comment

Working...
        X