Norton Ghost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norton Ghost?

Asked my boss today if we could pick up a copy of Norton Ghost. He approved it. Then I got to thinking...we have some NTFS, FAT32, and some linux boxes here. Can Ghost do all of them?

Or perhaps is there something better for the job?

Yes, it can, but it doesn't always work with Lilo, but is you have a boot disk, it is easy to fix.
    "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

What version of Ghost? The standard one is pretty handy, but you might want to spring for the professional edition. It does more kinds of transfers, like some network ghosting and whatnot.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Or theres Drive image 7 also now by Symantec. This supposed to do a backup while the system is running as well. Dunno how it deals with open files.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
          Or theres Drive image 7 also now by Symantec. This supposed to do a backup while the system is running as well. Dunno how it deals with open files.
          Yeah, i heard about that. But I wouldn't actually want to use that feature here.

Comment

I use Symantec (it's no longer known as Norton) Ghost Enterprise 7.5. It is VERY nice. It has all sorts of built in wizards to make boot-up floppies and CD-R's. You can put up a GhostCast server and just push images across the network and all sort of awesome stuff. If you can afford Ghost Ent 7.5, definately go for it! It's awesome.

Jammrock
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Cool, Ghost Enterprise 8.0 is out now:

Jammrock

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                Cool, Ghost Enterprise 8.0 is out now:

Jammrock
                good find!

Comment

Hmm, looks like you can't just buy one copy of ghost 8 corp.

Comment

dunno, someone else handles licensing in my corp. though ghost 8 has full lilo and linux support. give symantec a call and find out about licensing. shouldn't be too bad.

Jammrock

Comment

Nope, vendors say they can't sell me a single copy of 8. I may just go with '03.

Comment

AFAIK Ghost 2003 IS Ghost 8.0. There are difference between the retail and enterprise version (also a reason why the enterprise v.arrives later). You might not need the enterprise edition though...

Comment

The enterprise version comes with the GhostCast server part, and various other utilities more suited for a business environment. I've used both, and at work I would accept no substitute.

Jammrock

Comment

Working...
                          X