Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer timer ?

Hello,

Perhaps a dumb question, but current computers have wake-on-lan, wake-on-modem and wake-on-timer. Only thing is: this timer has to be set in the bios.

Is there a workaround for this ?
    Either by connecting a clock/timer to the powerbutton or wake-on-lan connector, or perhaps by using software to enter the power-on time in the bios ? Any ideas ?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Hmm, I found this...

but it looks odd...

Jörg
    pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
      Hmm, I found this...

but it looks odd...

Jörg
      I think that guy that wrote that was high on something
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Yep, my thoughts exactly!
        Well, I have been browsing a bit, but can't seem to find something like that... Simplest would be to set the power-on on power-loss, and use a regular timer...
        Or adjust the power-on time in the bios everytime.

Jörg
        Last edited by VJ; 13 January 2004, 08:36.
        pixar

Comment

what is soo wrong with setting the timer in bios?
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Not much, but you could forget to do it...
            (changes the shutdown procedure: instead of shutdown it must be a restart)

It just would have been fun to be able to do this in a more ... euhm... hi-tech matter...
            pixar

Comment

Ok, here's a higher tech way to do it. Get an old 486 that runs cool and quiet, install command line linux, schedule it to send a wake on lan signal. Put it in a closet with a lan connection, and off you go.
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
              X