Video memory 128mb or 256mb ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video memory 128mb or 256mb ?

Is there a big difference in Premiere 6.5 going to 256mb (on the video card)? I am looking to upgrade my video card soon and wonder if I need to save a little extra and get the 256 mb variant of what ever I get.

Jeff
    -We stop learning when We die, and some
    people just don't know They're dead yet!

Member of the COC!
    Minister of Confused Knightly Defence (MCKD)

Food for thought...
    - Remember when naps were a bad thing?
    - Remember 3 is the magic number....

no I would say you'd get more use out of system memory than memory on the video card.

I'm using Nvidia Gforce 4 TI4200 with 64mb ram.

I would say go with a minimum 512MB system ram, if you can afford 1GB it would be money well spent. Adobe will use as much system ram that you throw at it. Especially if you don't have a RT card like the RTX100.

before I got the Nforce card I was using the Matrox g400 with 32mb ram and the performance was still pretty good.

Comment

Currently I have a 64 mb mx400 and a gig of ddr400 ram. Both do the job. But the mx 400 is getting a little long in the tooth and I am looking at replacing it, mostly for gamming.

Thx,

Jeff

Member of the COC!

Food for thought...

Comment

the only reason today to get more than 128 is to do FSAA in some form
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

For 2 D work, such as video editing, 64 kb on the video card is ample, but I do recommend 1 Gb RAM (fastest type your system can use)
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Jeff

Member of the COC!

Food for thought...

Comment

Yes, 2D graphics card performance stopped becoming an issue many years ago. Unless you're talking about gaming spend your money on a faster cpu or more memory. I think that 512MB of memory is enough for video editing, but many people say 1GB is necessary. Unless you are doing A LOT of multitasking with many large photos open, a system with 512MB memory and a 2.8Ghz processor will be faster than one with a 2.4GHz processor and 1GB of memory. The price difference between the memory might even be larger than the price difference between the processors mentioned.

Again, I must stress this depends HEAVILY on your workflow and the applications that you use. I am speaking from my experience.

- Mark
              - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

Working...
              X