Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Network trouble

Hi!

I have three xp computers connected in a small network via a hub. I want to be able to share files between them using file-sharing and tcp/ip with netbios. I've come so far that I can connect between the computers with each computer's ip address but I cannot browse my network.

Anyone have any ideas or tips how to get this working?

It might be some problem with the name resolution...
    AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
    Asus A8N-E
    Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2
    Asus Extreme GeForce N7800GT
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB
    Lian-Li PC60
    Windows XP Pro 64bit

Did you put them in a workgroup ?

You can view and browse them after in My Network Places with the View workgroup computers task.

Comment

Have you got your XP Firewall up? Kill it if you have.

J1NG

Comment

Also I seem to remember that either SP1 or one of the subsequent critical updates tightens down permissions a bit so even "My Shared Folders" is automatically passworded over the network. You should still be able to see them in Entire Network-->Microsoft Windows Network-->Workgroup though as computers, just not any folders beneath until you have the permissions and/or passwords sorted out.

But I would check that they are all in the same workgroup first.
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

You have to set "simple file sharing", or else you have to get very drastic. Once you set "simple file sharing" (which it will warn you is a bad BAD idea) you're golden.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

are these computer xp home or xp pro??
            on xp pro i disable simple file sharing to get the file sharing to work like windows 2000. then add each user/password to all computers ... then you can share different resources based on the different user accounts.
            check this link out for windows xp home:

and here for windows xp pro

i believe there is some step by step guides for networking xp in these pages.
            --
            Alan
            Alcohol and Drugs make life tolerable.

Comment

Ah, yes, you also need to have the guest account enabled for people to log on to your PC.

Comment

Well it depends. If the machines don't have fixed IP addresses it gets really ugly really quickly, because there is no fixed WINS mapping and therefore the machines refuse to even SEE each other half the time.

It's really quite a pain in the ass.

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Thanx for the suggestions.

All computers are in the same workgroup.
                  I can only view the computers in the workgroup on the computer that is currently the "master browser".

XP firewall is off on all computers.

All computers use simple file sharing.

Guest account is currently off on all computers. Will try if it changes anything.

On computer is xp home, the other two are pro.

I have added an identical password protected account on each computer.

IP addresses are dynamic. Computers are connected to a hub which is connected to a cable modem. The computers gets their ip from the isp I think (if not the cable modem has a dhcp server).

It does seem that on the computer where I can see the other computers it cannot resolve the other computers addresses from their names. As I said I can connect to them through ip but not by name. Would not be a big problem if Ips were static.

Quite a long list, don't you think?

/Leo
                  AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
                  Asus A8N-E
                  Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2
                  Asus Extreme GeForce N7800GT
                  Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB
                  Lian-Li PC60
                  Windows XP Pro 64bit

Comment

Enabling guest account is a bad idea if the pc's also have access to the wider world. Just create another general account with a password. To make life easier ensure they're in the same workgroup each one called something different other wise they'll conflit and you'll see no pc's. Make such the ip addressing is consistant 192.168.0.x and the subnet mask are the same say 255.255.252.0 for example. Thats should be it in theory.
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Pit, unfortunately that ISN'T it. Like I said, the problem stems from the fact that WINS and DHCP don't play ball very well. Unless the machines can resolve the WINS name they will never work properly

I guarantee you that you can probably get to the shared directories using the command prompt NET command and its subcommands, and the IP addresses. It's the NAMES and browsing that are all gooned up.

Microsoft, in their INFINITE wisdom, are hard at work here.

- Gurm

Comment

Funny I thought I was talking about fixed ip's and making usre names weren't conflicting.
                        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Unless you're behind a router I'd install IPX/SPX and be sure file sharing is bound to that and not TCP/IP unless you want to invite disaster. Be sure your ISP supports more than one IP if you're not using a router, many cable companies don't any more. Also, the modems DHCP server won't assign IP's unless it's offline.
                          Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 13 January 2004, 08:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
                            Be sure your ISP supports more than one IP, many cable companies don't any more. Also, the modems DHCP server won't assign IP's unless it's offline. And unless you're behind a router I'd install IPX/SPX and be sure file sharing is bound to that and not TCP/IP unless you want to invite disaster.

What kind of weird modemshave you encountered????
                            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Surfboard cable modems? The built-in DHCP server doesn't assign IP's unless it's offline. If it's online it lets the ISP do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X