Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ac3 vs. dts

I know it's an old one but still.
    I just bought the X-MEN 2 DVD, it comes with both ac3 and dts so I tried them both on my rig (first dts movie I got).
    Unlike many comparisons I saw before, I could hear a big difference in sound quality in all kinds of scenes from simple dialog to action scenes.
    The overall difference between ac3 and dts is that while ac3 sounded gread, switching to dts was as if I was under a blanket all that time as I have suddenly removed it.
    Sound was much more crisp, open, detailed and well positioned.
    It's kind of like moving from a 64kbps to 128kbps MP3.
    Maybe ac3 simply sucked in this movie or I have a problem with my rig.

My rig:
    Software: WinDVD 5 Platinum on Win2k
    Hardware: Liteon DVD
    CPU: Athlon XP 1800
    Soundcard: Hercules GameTheater XP
    Connection: Optical
    Receiver: Yamaha htr-5170 (aka RX-V795a)

By the way, I loved the movie in the cinema, I love it even more on my rig with my little 17" monitor and BIG dts sound
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Re: ac3 vs. dts

Originally posted by TransformX
    I know it's an old one but still.
    I just bought the X-MEN 2 DVD, it comes with both ac3 and dts so I tried them both on my rig (first dts movie I got).
    Unlike many comparisons I saw before, I could hear a big difference in sound quality in all kinds of scenes from simple dialog to action scenes.
    The overall difference between ac3 and dts is that while ac3 sounded gread, switching to dts was as if I was under a blanket all that time as I have suddenly removed it.
    Sound was much more crisp, open, detailed and well positioned.
    It's kind of like moving from a 64kbps to 128kbps MP3.
    Maybe ac3 simply sucked in this movie or I have a problem with my rig.

Well I would say, this is the normal experience, as long as you have good enough equipment - the 64->128Kbps difference seems a bit drastic, but I would say, it's normally like going from 112kbps to 192kbps here - and this in about every DVD I own that has both soundtracks on it (Terminator2, 5th element, some Live DVDs,...)
    But we named the *dog* Indiana...
    My System
    2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
    German ATI-forum

Comment

Re: Re: ac3 vs. dts

Originally posted by Indiana
      Well I would say, this is the normal experience, as long as you have good enough
      My current rig (receiver and speakers) is sub $1500 so I guess any one could hear that difference unless he owns an especially crappy rig.

Comment

Dolby Digital aka AC-3 is compressed at a 12-1 ratio, while dts uses, I think, 3:1. This results in more detail and higher fidelity. DTS mixes are usually hotter as well, so it seems louder.

Comment

Damn, dts really does rule.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
            DTS mixes are usually hotter as well, so it seems louder.
            Yes, but even with the volume adjusted to equivalent levels DTS is so much "clearer" then DolbyDigital on all DVDs I can compare those two formats...
            Sometimes the Dolby digital mixes are more "effectful" though (so there's more "noise" from the back speakers, while the DTS sometimes might sound a bit "naturalistic" for some people..)
            But we named the *dog* Indiana...
            My System
            2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
            German ATI-forum

Comment

As Kv said, DTS is much higher bitrate than straight DD/AC3, therefore it's clearer, higher quality sound. It's not like magic speaker cables, it's simply better
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Hey agallag, don't you dare bad-mouthing my magic speaker cables !

Comment

Yeah! Everyone knows that a steep price tag makes audio components sound better!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
                    Yeah! Everyone knows that a steep price tag makes audio components sound better!
                    What a n00b !!! Hahahaaha !!!
                    I'ts the giftwrap that makes the biggest difference !
                    Ha ! I like so totally and utterly 0wn you ! Muahahahaha !!!

Comment

TransformX:

Um you haven't been a naughty boy and been put on the couch already have you?

J1NG

Comment

The only gift wrapping my stuff came in were FedEx boxes, I guess my stuff just won't sound right.

More on topic, I've got Predator on DVD, and the DTS track sounds quite a bit better than the AC3 one.

Comment

If you really want to hear the difference pop in the any of the LotR EE DVD's. Even though the AC3 and DTS mixes are the best there are, the DTS mix is significantly better, imo.

Jammrock
                          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Yes as KvHagedorn mentioned, DTS represents the actual recording compressed anywhere between 2:1 to 5:1 !!

DTS audio file however is so much larger than Dolby Digital which is why not many movie DVD's are made with DTS.

I jump at the chance to buy a DVD's with DTS encoding because I am a bit of an audio phile myself .

So if you buy a movie with DTS and Dolby Digital, always pick DTS (if your receiver suppoirts it) and enjoy the best possible audio reproduction.

In fact, I;m starting my own collection of DVD Audio, they are all DTS and rated at 24Bit 96Khz, again simply amazing!!!

Cheers,
                            Elie

Comment

A was a ac3 fan, until I purchased a new amp, the dts soundtracks are so much better.
                              I believe that it was created is a responce to ac3, to rival it in cinemas an (later) in the home, so it had to have an improved sound.

Breezer
                              Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

Working...
                              X