DVD Burner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD Burner

Looking for a dual format DVD burner. Any recomendations for the Liteon 811S?

DJ

So far the only dual format 8x burners I can recommend without hesitation are the Plextor and... err... umm...

Well the Pioneer A07 which will be out later this month...

Tests show the NEC 2500 to be sub-par, and the Liteon is pretty damn picky about media - much like the 411 was.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

The NEC 1300A (just 4x) seems to be well supported and widely used.

Important to know that 8x burners are technically able to burn dual layer DVDs, but nobody knows which manufacturer (if any) is going to make such a nice present to its customers (you need a firmware update to get dual layer burning working).

Comment

Re: DVD Burner

Originally posted by DJ
        Looking for a dual format DVD burner. Any recomendations for the Liteon 811S?

DJ
        I've got one and it seems okay. Comes with shit software though.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Plextor rulez
          Work-Box:P4C3.0GHz; DFI LAN Party875Pro, GeiL Golden Dragon 512MB PC3500 DDRAM, ==>>PARHELIA 128+ZALMAN HEATPIPE MOD<<==, 2 x WD360 Raptor 36Gig RAID 0, MAXTOR 6Y080L0 80Gig, Plextor PX-W4824A, Toshiba SD-M1612, 2x BenQ FP767 17"TFT

MEDIA-BOX:P4C3,2GHz; ASUS P4P800 Deluxe, GeiL Golden Dragon 512MB PC4000 DDRAM, Radeon9800XT, 2xHitachi HDS722512-VLSA80; RAID0, Plextor PX-116A, PX-708A, Plextor Premium/T3B

Comment

Yep, I have a Plextor PX708A and am very pleased with it.
            Fast, quiet, decent software (Nero, Plextools, Pinnacle Studio 8, PowerDVD).
            But at a price...

Jörg
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I got a 811s on saturday, burns ok cd & dvd. (£112)
              Flashed it to region free so I could watch my region 1 disks.
              You'll need k@zaa to get any decent software though.
              Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

I know abot the AO7 coming out but doubt it will cost less than $250.00 . I'll probably just go with the Plextor although I see that it is shipped with Roxio EZCD 6. VJ where did you get yours with Nero?

DJ

Comment

In Belgium, the PX708 comes with Nero.

Comment

Yep, Kurt beat me to it...
                    In Belgium, it comes with Nero, Pinnacle Studio 8, Plextools Professional and PowerDVD. All are full versions, except I think PowerDVD (the module for multichannel audio is not included)

Jörg
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Ok, what about media. What do you recommend for both + & -?
                      Thanks.

DJ

Comment

It's not the media, it's the DYE.

Ritek is always top notch, but beyond that... look for RICOH dye if you can. Memorex has been using RICOH, but some memorex spindles are now CMC, which is the ABSOLUTE WORST DYE EVER.

Avoid Princo like the plague as well.

Fuji have always been good to me.

Verbatim used to be good, now they are ... so-so.

Just order a spindle of 100 riteks and you won't be unhappy.

- Gurm
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Originally posted by a_h
                          The NEC 1300A (just 4x) seems to be well supported and widely used.

Important to know that 8x burners are technically able to burn dual layer DVDs, but nobody knows which manufacturer (if any) is going to make such a nice present to its customers (you need a firmware update to get dual layer burning working).
                          Don't fall for this promise.

It has been made time and time again with computers and computer components.

There WILL be some reason why these drives will not be able to burn dual layer DVDs. They WILL need to bring a new drive out to enable that functionality.

Never expect any more functionality out of hardware then what it offered when you walked out of the store with it.
                          80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

When they announced the dual-layer burnables, they said ANY "recent" +R drive would be upgradeable.

Then as recently as a month ago, they said that any 4x +R drive would be upgradeable.

Now they're saying only 8x multimode drives will be upgradeable.

How much you wanna bet that NO drives will be upgradeable?

And I'm still dubious about the entire technology of multi-layer burning. I don't think it'll be compatible with anything. That's just my cynical side, though.

- Gurm

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                              When they announced the dual-layer burnables, they said ANY "recent" +R drive would be upgradeable.

Then as recently as a month ago, they said that any 4x +R drive would be upgradeable.

Now they're saying only 8x multimode drives will be upgradeable.

How much you wanna bet that NO drives will be upgradeable?

And I'm still dubious about the entire technology of multi-layer burning. I don't think it'll be compatible with anything. That's just my cynical side, though.

- Gurm
                              Yep, there is a long history of this sort of s*** happening, so our cynicism is fully justified.
                              80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Working...
                              X