Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Beard or not To Beard?

That is the question.

I'm sporting a Christmas Goatie, which most colleagues seem to like. Wifey, on the other hand, doesn't as it tickles and sometimes spikes her. It's the first facial hair I've had in 12 years. I had to give the 'tache a weeks headstart over the chin, and the chin hair is much darker than the rest (i.e. top lip, that bit below the bottom lip and my head hair).

So, will she get used to it? Will it soften, or does it have to go?

T.
    FT.

FT

In all my 70-odd years, I have been clean-shaven. That is, up to last July, when I had a CVA that reduced the mobility of my right arm/hand and especially the ability to position it above shoulder height. Scared of cutting my throat with frequent spastic movements, I renounced to shave. Although I don't think it is a compliment, my white fungal growth has been likened to that of E. Hemingway.

I've since recovered most of the mobility and the spasms are mainly confined to keyboard errrroooors, but I found the daily 10 minutes I saved by not shaving have become precious, so to hell with what others think.

And it doesn't soften, but as it grows, it becomes less spiky.

Whitebeard.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Brian, that's why electric shavers were invented

Fat Tone, show us "before" and "after" pictures and then we'll decide...
      "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
        ... but I found the daily 10 minutes I saved by not shaving have become precious...
        I couldn't agree more

@F.Tone: if it softens or not depends on your kind of facial hair, I personally have got a very soft one (I didn't have propper facial hair 'till I was 19 or so), however my father, for example, has got a very hard one, even if it's a two weeks+ beard.
        <font face="verdana, arial, helvetica" size="1" >epox 8RDA+ running an Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1.7Ghz with 2x256mb Crucial PC2700, an Adaptec 1200A IDE-Raid with 2x WD 7200rpm 40Gb striped + a 120Gb and a 20Gb Seagate, 2x 17" LG Flatron 775FT, a Cordless Logitech Trackman wheel and a <b>banding enhanced</b> Matrox Parhelia 128 retail shining thru a Koolance PC601-Blue case window<br>and for God's sake pay my <a href="http://www.drslump.biz">site</a> a visit!</font>

Comment

AS long as You keep it short (check my "avatar" image) Your wifey shouldnt notice it overly much...

~~Dukep~~

Comment

I like my goatee.. I had it as a full beard, but people were telling me that I looked too old that way( I am 29), so I trimmed it to a goatee. I like the facial hair. keeps you warm in the winter, and it is a handy place to store leftovers
            Mine is at about 1cm, and it is pretty soft, at least there has been no complaints from my girlfriend as of yet
            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
              Mine is at about 1cm, and it is pretty soft, at least there has been no complaints from my girlfriend as of yet
              That will all change once you are married - I know from experience
              Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

I shaved off the moustache I have had since 1970 just two weeks ago.
                My wife was at a birthday party her girl friends gave her.
                She had had a few....
                I cooked supper with her in the kitchen talking to me, and we eat our entire meal before she noticed.
                We were sitting across from each othere at the table and she sudenly let out a shriek and nearly fell out of her chair.
                We both just about died laughing.
                It was fun.
                chuck

PS Beard! You can always cut it off after 33 years or so
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

Shouldn't you have made this a poll?

Beard for a bit and then you can always re-assess.
                  DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Some interesting stories there.

I like it and my colleagues like it, but they don't have to kiss me

What it comes down to (with Wifey) is this: If I get cut off, then it gets cut off
                    FT.

Comment

Hey, she might be like Becky.
                      Keep a few drinks in her and she may not notice
                      chuck
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone

What it comes down to (with Wifey) is this: If I get cut off, then it gets cut off
                        We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Do the Gimli thing.. let it grow out about two feet and braid it. Battle Axe is optional.

Comment

To beard!
                            Titanium is the new bling!
                            (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I hate facial hair. I hate shaving as well but if I don't shave for too long it starts itching terribly.
                              "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Working...
                              X