Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD64: The new performance king ?

Read about it here and here.
    Last edited by TransformX; 6 January 2004, 01:59.
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

From AcesHardware:

From a features standpoint, it's interesting to note that with Cool 'n' Quiet enabled, the Athlon 64 3400+ ran at 800 MHz (Minimum P-State, 1.3V) even with a DiVX movie playing. With the CPU utilization pushed to 60% at 800 MHz, the fans were not even rotating.
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

yup, my next computer is defintely going to be some kind of AMD 64. Dual opterons if i can, but even the athlon 64 's kick ass.

Comment

Woulld LOVE to get my hands on a 64bit laptop! Would be sweet indeed, Can't wait until this technology is more mainstream though, cause rigth now it's damn expensive.
        Titanium is the new bling!
        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
          Woulld LOVE to get my hands on a 64bit laptop! Would be sweet indeed, Can't wait until this technology is more mainstream though, cause rigth now it's damn expensive.
          exactly what i think

thid year, fall, I am planning on a A64 labtop!

Comment

There are some AMD64 laptops about and they aren't as expensive as you might imagine

I don't think these use mobile CPU's so battery life probably isn't that great.
            When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

The built in "cool n quiet" for AMD64 does a pretty good job even on laptops.

Comment

I heard they are also making a Socket 745 with Dual Channel memory, somehow...

Comment

Originally posted by Taz
                  There are some AMD64 laptops about and they aren't as expensive as you might imagine

I don't think these use mobile CPU's so battery life probably isn't that great.
                  Yeah, but it doesn't seem to come witha 64bit OS.

Plus if I were to custom build one, I'd like to use a different chipset, and put in a way powerful video card, like the Mobility Fire GL T2. If it's gonna be a 64bit machibne, might as well have some bite to it!
                  Titanium is the new bling!
                  (you heard from me first!)

Comment

erm actually i am waiting for AMD to settle its sockets (give me just two sockets to choose, anymore i get confused) and RAM implementations ( i want dual-channel memory and to be able to use either registered or unregistered dimms). And more SiS-chipset based retail motherboards. SiS seems to be the best choice overall from the reviews but cant see any boards out yet. am hoping sis will come out with a dually-chipset but if they dont i might go grab a tyan (k8w looks good)
                    Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                    ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

You are always going to have 3 to choose from.

754->consumer level single channel.

939->perfomance mainstream/workstation dual channel

940->server/workstation dual chanel(per cpu) registered memory.

Comment

There is only one that makes sense for a cheapskate like me. Socket 939 powered by SiS
                        [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                        Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                        Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                        Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                        Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

I'd still take a 2.4C with a nice hs/fan thank you very much. If not that, then a 533fsb prescott mmm.... tons of headroom and massive multiplier... /me drools
                          Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                          Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

I thought Prescotts had "Hell Inside"
                            [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                            Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                            Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                            Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                            Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Originally posted by |Mehen|
                              I'd still take a 2.4C with a nice hs/fan thank you very much. If not that, then a 533fsb prescott mmm.... tons of headroom and massive multiplier... /me drools
                              I am not suprised by this choice of yours ... you did buy a Geforce FX 9000. You need to be beaten with a clue stick
                              80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Working...
                              X