For Scotch Drinkers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Scotch Drinkers...

Has anyone tried Lagavulin? I just got a bottle of their 16yo and it tastes totally different from any other Scotch I've had. There is the distinctive taste of burnt wood in there.. wonder if it's a practice of theirs to age their product in this sort of cask? Maybe there was a fire there..

What I'd really like to know is: Is it supposed to taste this way?

I don't drink scotch, but I have tried it. It sucks

( About the only alocholic beverage I like is Bailey's, so I may not be the best judge )

- Steve

Comment

I've found many of the islay malts to have this smokey taste, with Lagavulin the most pronounced - so I tend to stick to the highland varieties.
      @spadnos - try a single malt scotch - they taste much smoother than the blended types (which IMO are meant only for mixed drinks)
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

It's not bad.. just.. different. I suppose it just takes getting used to.

Comment

Drambuie for me !!
          Paul ... Peterborough ..Uk

....Ex- Perth ...WA .....

The ( EX) Forrestfield Flyer

Comment

Nothing for me.

*sniff*

As part of "Gurm's Self-Improvement Plan 2003/2004 (tm)", I have for all intents and purposes eliminated alcohol from my diet.

(For now...)

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

Gurm,

Eliminating all alcohol from your diet != Self-Improvement.
              Wine is good for you, especially red.
              "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Lagavulin is one of my favorites!

I love the Islay Malts. Infact, I find most of the coastal whiskys to be far superior to their more meek inland cousins.

If you find Lagavulin to be "interesting" but too strong, try Bowmore instead. Same taste, less sting.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Never tried it, but I like to drink scotch. I love Martinis too.
                  Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Had another last night and it just takes getting used to.. it's good stuff.

Gurm, the amount I drink is not enough to matter. I would say I drink about a tablespoon full each time. Not drinking it to get drunk, just to enjoy the flavors.

I Still love the Glenmorangie and Macallan 18yo stuff.. I'd like to try Highland Park, which is distilled in the Orkneys.. heard some good things about that one. Anyone here tried it? Unfortunately, I don't have any really good pubs around here that pour the stuff.

Comment

Yeah, I have a bottle of Glenlivet here that I still haven't finished, although there's some Macallan 18 that's been whispering my name every time I go to the liquor store, but I can't justify it.

- Gurm
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

mmm Glenlivet. A good starter scotch - clean, smooth, no afterbite.
                        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

LOL I've been using up my 12yo Glenlivet in eggnog this season.

The problem with Scotch is when you think you've found something good, there is always something better that spoils you for the other stuff. When I got into this 2 years ago, I got an 18yo Glenmorangie and an 18yo Macallan Gran Reserva. After drinking those, I went and tried some of my aunt's Chivas Regal.. the stuff tasted like grain alcohol watered down with piss (maybe not that bad, but imho it was now too unappealing to enjoy drinking.) The Gran Reserva is special stuff.. really special.. almost a good deal at $150 a bottle. I've been drinking that very sparingly. That left the 18yo Glenmorangie when I felt like reaching for the scotch, and it is damn good. Not dark like other older scotches, just refined. I'm about to need another bottle now.. it's almost gone.

In a way, I'm scared to try a 25 or 30yo Scotch, for fear it might spoil me for the stuff I'm drinking now.. and those are really too expensive to drink much of.

Comment

KvHagedorn, I have drank scotch for years and to me the slight distinctive taste of burnt wood is why I drink it. The cheaper blends do not seem to have this taste.

I have been a Chivas drinker the last 15 years mainly because of its tatse and being 12 years old at a good price. Sometimes for the hell of it I will try a high price bottle of one of the better blends but always go back to Chivas.

Years ago I heard they age scotch in oak kegs with the inside walls chared. I can only say this is what I heard.

Glenlivet in eggnog is a terrable waste of Glen and eggnog.

Comment

This is what I've been drinking lately. I'm new to the scotch world. Is it any good? BTW, this is the sherry wood finish which has a much better taste than the port IMO.

edit: oh, btw, my boss made eggnog for the second year ina row. The catch is, he adds Everclear! It's brutal
                              Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Working...
                              X