BLACK screen of death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLACK screen of death

Yup, So I was sitting on my work PC reading...and BAM...my monitor goes black. But not black like it's off, black like it's not getting a signal. But the LED on the monitor indicated that it was getting a signal. Just for grins, I tried 2 more monitors...they got a signal, but displayed nothing. Hitting keys wouldn't help.

I rebooted it, and all was well. But why oh why did I get this random black screen?

It's nature's way of telling you to take a vacation.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian R.
      It's nature's way of telling you to take a vacation.

Comment

I don't know if it's going to help you, but try to boot into "safe mode" and remove any video card drivers and re-install the drivers after reboot.

Comment

I've got the same problem. Sometimes the screen goes black, and a couple of seconds later, winamp crashes with a nasty squeek.

You aren't using a ATI R300 based card by chance, are you (like 9500-9700 Pro)? Catalyst 3.5 and earlier would sometimes cause the card to crap out on me and revert back to default VGA driver in windows (infinite loop in the ati driver), but the 3.8 haven't done this on me yet (but I get the black screen + crash though).

Comment

this is an ati issue most likely or the infamouse loop problem.

Dave
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I had it once, it appears the video adapter died on me.
              It was a 2 months old Gainward Geforce 4 4800
              "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Working...
              X