G400 on new Mobo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 on new Mobo

Hi all, first time on the board. Seems to be a lot of info! Anyways I'm looking to build a HTPC and have read the G400's TV out is the best around. I'm looking to get myself one and would like to know if it's possible to have a G400 work in a new motherboard (AGP4/8, 1.5). I was reading through some threads on the topic but couldn't find a convincing answer.

As well if anywhere has a G400 w/ TV out cable or just a TV out cable for sale let me know. I'm in Montreal too so if any Matrox workers are on here and want to slip me old stock out the back doors I'm down for that too...

Hi,

You should be safe with AGP speed/voltage, if you buy AGP4x version of Matrox G400. This means that there's additional "4A" in the part number; G4+MDH4A32GB/40 for example.
    You will probably find TV-out cable at www.shopmatrox.com, if you can't find it anywhere else.
    Last edited by Mikko; 5 January 2004, 14:29.

Comment

I noticed this one :

Will that be compatible with a G400 (don't see why not)? As well if I can't find a 4A (which I haven't been able too) what then?

Comment

Found this too:

/BOC-TV-OUT01, Any idea what the / means? Out of Stock, no link to a pic?

Comment

I think that you should buy an item called "/BOC-TV-OUT01": Cable for Millennium G400 Bulk and Retail

If you don't find "4A" in the part number, your G400 is older version (AGP2x) and it may not work properly in your AGP4x/8x motherboard.

Comment

K I'll gun for the BOC-TV-OUT01 and hope it's in stock. I've been told there is a slight/easy mod to make the G400 AGP 2x cards work in 1.5v slots. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Comment

sure, see http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38574

Comment

Whassamatta? Didn't believe me when I sent you that thread at TR?

Look on page 5.

Comment

To make a long story short, here is the info on the G400 modification:

All G400 boards are fully capable of running in both 3.3 and 1.5 V AGP slots. However, some old revision boards may need a slight modification. This is becuase the AGP 2X revision of the G400 boards does not have AGP connector pin A2 (TYPEDET#) hardwired to ground (you can check this with a multimeter). Newer AGP 4x revisions do have pin A2 wired to ground. Some AGP 4X/8X (1.5V only) use the TYPEDET# signal to detect whether a card can run at 1.5 V. If pin A2 is not at ground potential, they may refuse to boot... this causes a problem for our old G400s.

Solution: install a zero value resistor (or a small wire) at location R68 of the G400 pcb (look in the large thread for a picture). This will ground pin A2; then everything will work fine. I have tested this procedure with success on my G400 MAX.

Comment

Originally posted by bsdgeek
                    Whassamatta? Didn't believe me when I sent you that thread at TR?

Look on page 5.
                    Oh I beleived you! I figured you might pick it up on here. I also figured I'd start from scratch. I had a hard time finding decent info in that thread but I'll head to page 5 now and check it again. Seems I may have found a card though...

G4+M4A16DG

The 4A is what I need right? As for the 16mb, that's fine with me. I'm not going over 800x600. Anyone see a reason the above card wont run on a Modern mobo like a MSI K7M4M-L.

Comment

Working...
                    X