KT 7 RAID, IBM GXPs + RT2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KT 7 RAID, IBM GXPs + RT2000

I have been working on my system for three weeks now and nothing seems to be fine-tuned yet.
    My rt2000 crashes with sblive! (but this is not the issue) and my 2 ibm 30g GXPs (same as yours EQuito) show decent figures on hdtach but also a ridiculous cpu usage (72%)

My guess:
    I figured I didn't enable DMA (wasn't it already set by default though)coz:

1) same benchmark on my IDE 1 IBM w/out dma >> low figures and huge cpu usage
    2) RT2000 disk benchmark >> ide 1 passes w/dma enabled
    ide 3 and 4 don't pass although they show highest data tranfers (lowest can reach 0,700 mbyte)
    3) hd tach graph shows very unstable performances

So my question is:

how can I enable DMA on my ide3 and 4?
    or where's the problem?

I am just a newbie on this forum and this message was already posted on the kt7 raid forum. I was then told to check this group for further tips.

Thanks for any hints

Athlon 900mhz @ 900 mhz
    ABIT KT7-RAID
    3x128 hyunday PC133 RAM
    1 IBM GXP 307030 7200rpm ATA100 on ide1
    2x IBM GXPs 307030 7200rpm ATA100 striped on array 0
    (ide 3 and 4)
    G400 3d flex
    RT2000
    DVD ROM 16x
    SCSI adapter for scanner
    (used to have) SB LIVE!

Sorry fasterbaby, but...

If you want to build a no-nonsence editing rig, the best alternatives for motherboard are still "standard", plain boards (no exotic value added features), based on Intel BX chipset.

If you want RAID (not necessary), then it is better to do it with an add-on adapter (Promise has a great success rate here) since it will not compromise the compatibility and stability of the motherboard (which is btw. the MOST important component in the system).

A combination of VIA chipset and an integrated Highpoint controller could be an interesting challenge (configuration wise), but not something I would build my editing system on (unless testing it was the sole purpose)

If you connect all your drives to the standard IDE controller, does the situation improve ?

Comment

I'll second and third what Pertti has brought up. The combination of a VIA chipset and a HighPoint controller is a nightmare in waiting, especially when combined with a high-bandwidth device like the RT-2000. I'll stick with my setup...

Dr. Mordrid

------------------
      Asus P3B-F 6 PCI
      PIII/850
      Gigabyte GA-6R7+ slotkey
      Matrox G400/Flex3D
      Matrox RT-2000
      256 megs RAM
      Promise SuperTrak100 (4 x 60g IBM 75GXP: 240g RAID0)
      AWE64 Gold

Comment

Thanks for your answers guys. I appreciated.
        Unfortunately I got to find this forum evidently too late.
        It's not that I am an anti-intelian or whatever but I thought this system (that had to work w/ a dv200 at first) could offer the best performance/price ratio.
        I didn't know anything about rt2000 compatibility issues especially coz buying it wasn't in my plans till a month ago.
        I sticked for this board because of the qualities we all have the chance to appreciate but troubles were inevitably on my way.
        Now the system seems to be quite steady but there are a few things I don't like (Doc mentioned some of 'em).
        In Italy we say "now that you have the bike, ride it" and that's what I will do at least for the next few months.
        If these annoying features will bother me too much, I don't hide the chance to sell my cpu and mobo and come back to the market... but for that time... I will hear about me again.

Thanks for now guys
        Thanks a lot

Comment

I wouldn't give up just yet!

There are, indeed, some motherboard bios
          tweaks that have made *all* the difference
          in the world for users of Via chipsets
          that are as new as yours!

Granted, I'm taking this from the Canopus
          DV Raptor forum and users of the Asus A7V motherboard, which uses the Via KT133 chipset.

But I'm very curious to know if you might
          achieve the same success with RT2000.

You may be using the same bios as they did
          and if these bios settings are available
          to you - these are what enabled functionality for DV Raptor users:

>1. System Performance Setting -- Optimal
          >2. Spread Spectrum Control -- Enabled
          >3. PCI Master Read Caching -- Enabled
          >4. Delayed Transaction -- Enabled
          >5. PCI to DRAM Prefetch -- Enabled
          >6. Byte Merge -- Enabled

You may have to enable:

>1. PCI Master Read Caching
          >2. Delayed Transaction
          >3. Byte Merge

Something else that may help you... Mr.
          Tyler Hawes of Krysalis Productions in
          Vancouver, Washington, USA is an expert
          in building non-linear video editing
          systems around the motherboards that
          support AMD processors.

Hawes *insists* in his communications to
          me that bios tweaking knowledge is what
          he has over his competitors.

He told me "Jerry, there's nothing at all
          to worry about with the Via KT133 chipset. I build systems around it all the time."

Here is his company Web site. You might
          ask him a question or two:
          http://www.krysalisproductions.com/systems.htm

I'm personally awaiting the release of the AMD 760 chipset.

Good luck!

Comment

Fasterbaby:

Did a little checking on the Matrox site and FWIW:

Both the VIA KX133 chipset and the KT133 chipset have been tested and approved for the RT2000 (in the Asus K7V and the Iwill KV200, respectively). Both mobos are on the RT2000 hardware compatibility list. Matrox recommends VIA's 4 in 1 drivers with the AGP driver installed in turbo mode. They also recommend an AGP aperture size of 256 MB. This in addition to the tweaks suggested by Mr. Jones may help with the problems you've been having.

The main hangup may be the Highpoint RAID controller integrated into your mobo. If nothing else works, you may want to consider disabling it in BIOS and trying a Fasttrack. I know this defeats the purpose of getting the K7-RAID motherboard, but such is the wonderful world of computers. Or, if you're feeling lucky, you can try flashing the BIOS.

I have yet to hear anything good about the Highpoint for this application.

Kevin

Comment

We have a KT7 raid system setup in tech supp. Using the via 4in1 V4.25 was horrible. We had much better and stable performance using the 4in1 V4.23 and V4.26.

If you are using the 4.25, use the installer of 4.26 or 4.23 ro remove V4.25, reboot and then install either the 4.23 or 4.26. Then re-install the RT driver set.

Haig

Comment

Working...
              X