Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best format for editing

Hello,

I'd like to put a number of avi files on a DVD. In their current form, Pinnacle Studio 8 seems to have issues with the files (no sound, thumbnails don't work properly). Converting a file (virtualdub) with a different compression solves the issue.
    Now, which codecs (audio and video) do I choose for the best compatibility and the fastest dvd authoring ?

Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

uncompressed.....
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Hmyes, but I lack diskspace to do that...

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

An MJPEG codec like PicVideo would be the next best bet.
        WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

I don't have an MJPEG codec... (I think )

I assume MPEG2 be perfect (this is what is used on DVD, right ?) ? I have just downloaded this tool:

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

From the thread title, I assume you wish to edit, then author. MPEG-2 is NOT at all clever, as each edit/render will reduce the quality. I edit exclusively in DV AVIs, and this is roughly equivalent to high-quality MJPEG. Only when the editing is finished do I create the DVD-compliant MPEG-2s.
            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Ok... I see...

What I want to do is put some avis (as chapters) on a DVD. There isn't that much editing going on (selection of thumbnails for chapters), so I think it is mostly just author.
              I figured when starting in MPEG2, the movie would not be rerendered...
              I will check if I have DV codes (I know they are present in Studio8, but I'm not sure if I have DV codecs that are accessible in Virtualdub).

Jörg
              pixar

Comment

In their current form, Pinnacle Studio 8 seems to have issues with the files (no sound, thumbnails don't work properly
                Assumption here - you have already captured these avi files yes?

If so can you give details of the codec you captured it with or the codec that was used to compress the material before you got hold of them.
                Lawrence

Comment

A friend asked me to put them on a DVD, I will have to check the codecs (can only do that tonight).

Jörg
                  pixar

Comment

HuffYUV is best if you capture stuff via analog inputs. (composite, S-Video, RGB-Component (who heck has a afford capture card with RGB-Component inputs? ) )

it's lossless compression algorithm.
                    "Dippadai"

Comment

The files are divx 4 (640x480), MP3 layer audio (80 kbit/channel, stereo, 48000 Hz, constant bitrate)...

Jörg
                      pixar

Comment

Jörg

In that case, don't know why you are battling with Studio8 and DivX...........

Running Studio 8.10.4 here with the DivX Pro5.0.5 version of the codec and don't seem to have any hassles editing these kind of files at all.

Converting from DivX to anything else just to edit is a waste of time in my opinion - lets get Studio sorted - post your exact hassles.

DirectX9.0b installed?
                        What OS and SP level?
                        Lawrence

Comment

Ok
                          DirectX 9.0b is installed.
                          I'm running Windows XP Professional (SP1) on a dual Xeon.
                          I have the K-Lite codec pack installed.

Pinnacle Studio 8 (came with my Plextor PX708A) opens the files properly, but I cannot change the thumbnails, nor does the audio play back. I can sort out the audio though (Virtualdub states there is an error in the audioheader and it can rewrite it (gives a 3ms delay) or it can recompress it - both options work). So the only thing that remains are the thumbnails...

Jörg

PS: In a previous attempt, where I burnt one large avi file to a dvd, it messed up my chapters. I suspect it simply ignored my chapter points, and split the movie in equal-lenght pieces (it did use my thumbnails that time). The Pinnacle preview worked correct, but the written dvd itself didn't. In trying to avoid this, I thought of converting to another source format.

EDIT: I just noticed there is a patch 8.10.4, I'm downloading it now...
                          Last edited by VJ; 6 January 2004, 02:07.
                          pixar

Comment

Possible to post a short sample of the material somewhere - willing to give it a whirl here and see whats cooking.

Also runing XP+SP1a here
                            Lawrence

Comment

I'll have to get it this evening (don't have access to the files now).
                              How should I take a sample out of a file ? (virtualdub ?)

Jörg
                              pixar

Comment

Working...
                              X