Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you reckon dodgy power supply ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you reckon dodgy power supply ??

One of my pc's doesn't always boot from cold. I cured for it four days by upping the cpu voltage from a displayed 1.45v and lower to it's present voltage 1.616. In the bios the setting is 1.7v I had to do this to get it too boot this morning.
    The proc is a 2.66 gig P4 and once up and running runs 8 - 10 hrs without any problem.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

If your bios has the feature to create a delay for starting the pci devices, I'd try it. This once worked for me.
    P4b@2.7, AOpen ax4spe max II, 4X Parhelia 128 with Zalman zm80c and fan -or- ATI Radeon X800GTO, 1024mb.

Comment

PCI devices, and/or hard drives. Giving them more time to spin up may let the power drain settle down. But if this problem is accelerating like it sounds, I wouldn't be surprised if you've got a failing cap somewhere, and I'd think motherboard over power supply.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I fixed a problem similar to what you're describing by taking the power button connecter that attaches to the MB and crunching it slightly to make a better connection with the pins on the MB. Never gave me any more problem.
        YMMV

Comment

Theres a delay of 35's for the hard drives. Booted without a problem today I'll see how it goes.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
          X