Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retrieving data from corrupted hdd

First details here

I'll add only that Easy Recovery Professional doesn't seem to do the job - for example it displays "error encountered while scanning partirion". Besides, Easy Recovery Pro seems to be good in recovering "lost" data, that are not "visible". And although such data are probably also on my partition with badsectors (I presume those are badsectors...), all I want to do is to be able to cut visible files and paste them somewhere. Only problem - if I'd start this at morning on large number of files using windows cut&paste routine then I'd see "data error (crc)" when I come back (and task won't be completed of course).
    So, I need badly a software that can preserve exact dates during moving files and WON'T stop it's work when encountering errors (and it would skip bad files). Is there such thing?

Oh, if anyone's interested, the hdd is Fujitsu MPF3153AT and when I used Fujitsu diagnostics app looong time ago the result was something like "the hdd has unrecoverable data errors" and Fujitsu tech support suggested return of the drive and gave me few links (don't have them now) to data recovery software/companies.

And please, is there a way to save avi file that is partially on a bad sector, and thus that part isn't readable?

Fujitsu ouch you should have really been backing up my friend unless this wasn't one of the dodgy millions they sold around the world.

Do these errors crop up after a period of time???? This can as short as a few minutes.

If they do, stick the drive in the fridge we done this at work and managed to get the data off before the drive failed. Don't fasten the drive back in the case as you need to keep it as cool as long as possible.

Nortons Ghost you can tell to ignore bad sectors but data will probably be corrupted anyway. You'd still need to do the fridge job first.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

This all is rather because of little accident with the drive (fall, etc.), it didn't happen "because it's Fujitsu", I think (anyway 1,5 year ago I didn't have the possibility of backing up my data and I didn't knew about whole Fujitsu case).
      From what I know, errors happen all the time (and only on one partition and in the same places), but can't be 100% sure. Worth a try with this "freezing method", I guess...especially since I can now prevent massive condensation of water vapour on the drive.

At least I have hope now.

edit: what time in the fridge should be enough? (btw, by fridge you mean the thing with little above 0 Celsius or ~20 below?)
      Last edited by Nowhere; 3 January 2004, 04:27.

Comment

Well, the problem with EZ Recovery Pro is that they quite purposely took the "repair" functionality out of it and put it in a DIFFERENT product... hrm... now if I could remember the name of that product... something "tools"... hrm...

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Does this software have ability to copy files that are partially on badsector. like Ghost (but in OS - on files, not partition)
          Forgot to mention also that preserving dates, just like windows cut&paste, is preferable (although is NOT a must, I just want my data back... )
          And the fridge confusion remains...

Comment

If you dropped it the freezing method won't make any differance as you've damaged the surface of the disk. Ghost would copy the data but the data is likely to be corrupt.
            As for the time in the fridge we've never timed how long it took. If it's too long the drive won't be detected and you have too let it warm up a little.
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
            X