Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crash on startup with the P

Hi!

I experience every once in a while (about weekly) that when cold booting win I don't get to the desktop, the screen remains dark instead. ctr-alt-del doesn't help (seems system crashed), only a reset brings the rig to life again.

Happens with the 2x 1.5er drivers and now with the 1.6beta too, unfortunatly I'm not sure about the 1.4ers - I think they didn't have this feature - but I cannot try these out due to .net 1.1.

Anyone suffering from this? If yes, I file a bugreport.

Have a nice new year! Hannes

I've had something similar with a G400. It was the bios getting corrupted after a bit it would stop booting altogether and it was rescue time. However the machine was booting in the background so it hadn't hung as such.

Does always stop at the same place or sometimes gets further???

Check also your cpu voltages if they're borderline that maybe enougth to stop machine booting fully. Just had that problem this week strangly enougth.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Hi!

I've heard from those corruptions too, that it always happens during cold boots would fit too, but there's another reason against it: it always hangs at the same point, no further reactions. No entry in the syslog (would be the first time something interesting in it).

Looks like a halt - no soft reboot possible.

The problem is that this behavior is not reproducable, so I can reflash the latest bios and maybe in a week or 2 I can see a difference.

Comment

Try setting a pci startup delay in your bios, it may be a voltage issue.
        P4b@2.7, AOpen ax4spe max II, 4X Parhelia 128 with Zalman zm80c and fan -or- ATI Radeon X800GTO, 1024mb.

Comment

Thanks for the tip!

Maybe I wasn't clear enough: I do see the Bios messages, the white startup bar of WinXP, if it hangs, it hangs at the point when the desktop should be loaded.

Comment

Originally posted by a_h
            Thanks for the tip!

Maybe I wasn't clear enough: I do see the Bios messages, the white startup bar of WinXP, if it hangs, it hangs at the point when the desktop should be loaded.
            This doesn't sound like a voltage problem anymore, but still worth a try.
            P4b@2.7, AOpen ax4spe max II, 4X Parhelia 128 with Zalman zm80c and fan -or- ATI Radeon X800GTO, 1024mb.

Comment

Yup. Thanks! But unfortunatly this option was already checked.

Comment

Did you fix it somehow?

Comment

Mmm, I'm still waiting for the next crash on startup! Since I reflashed the bios nothing happened...

Since I cannot reproduce it, I've to wait - but it looks good that it doesn't happen again. I hope the bios chip is ok, would be very annoying if it happens - say half a year later - again...

Greets, Hannes

Comment

Originally posted by a_h
                    Mmm, I'm still waiting for the next crash on startup! Since I reflashed the bios nothing happened...

Since I cannot reproduce it, I've to wait - but it looks good that it doesn't happen again. I hope the bios chip is ok, would be very annoying if it happens - say half a year later - again...

Greets, Hannes
                    An excuse to buy that new system you've been wanting...

Comment

hehe. Unfortunatly I meant the P's bios, ya know...

Comment

Yes!! It just happened again...I really would like to know what causes this.

Comment

I would look into the power supply.
                          Even a slightly weak PS can cause wierd problems, esp. with power hungry cards like P...
                          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Mmmh...I cannot remember any startup problems with the 1.4er drivers. My PSU offers 300Ws with a maximum at 350Ws, so I don't think that.

I just applied the sp2beta some days ago, but these problems remain.

However I got a gateway last week & I think it got worse, so I switched the DHCP client service of, but nothing changed.

Comment

Working...
                            X