Access a dedicated server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access a dedicated server

I have a dedicated server in the US for my site, FreeBSD, apache etc, if I ever need anything done I just ask my hosts but it is a bit of a pain in the arse if I only want small changes made.

I run Win2k, what do I need to install/setup, this end that end o that I can gain access to my server, I will check with my hosts eventually but want to sound like I have a little knowledge before I ask thm to do anything major for me, they charge $175 a hour for work so I want to make sure I am gettign exactley what I want which is access to the server itself, assuming they allow it.

Any ideas

ssh is your friend.
    Seriously.

From there you can install the software you require and make any changes you need.

A very nice ssh client can be got from http://www.ssh.com/products/tectia/c...ommercial.html

If you have any questions about what to install/how to do things grab my icq number from my profile and we can have a chat.

Dan
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I use PuTTY myself.

Anyway, $175 (assuming min. 1hour) seems a little steep for typing "sshd" at the console or adding sshd_enable="YES" to the rc.conf file and rebooting, though.

Comment

Cheers guys, I see what they say about getting this setup.

Thats just their standard rate BSD, they don't assume a min of 1hr so if it is that simple for them to set up that end cool.

Comment

Yup, SSH and Putty. A great combo!
          "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Working...
          X