Radeon 9600 pro? Worth its price?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon 9600 pro? Worth its price?

I'm going to buy a GC and came across Radeon 9600 pro. Later I discovered a review on www.tomshardware.com that made me hesitate.

GPU reviews, news and features, created for the hardcore PC enthusiast by the experts at Tom's Hardware.

So I wonder if this chip is worth its price or if there are disadvantages.
    I'd also be greatful for comments regarding in-game performance and game compability.

(I dont want to spend too much money.)

/Thanks

get a 9800PRO it is around 350-400€ and it is definately worth the buck! just ordered one for my self!
    WaterCooled!
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+@2325 with Water!

Lian Li PC71 Mods UnderWay!
    Radeon 9800 Pro 450Core / 375 Mem With Original Cooling just memsinks added
    512mb HyperX Dual Channel 400MHz Ram
    Modding is my life allways was my life and i intend it to be my life

Comment

The 9600Pro definitely is one of the very few cards in the gfx-market that is worth its price.
      For about €130-150 there's no real competition to this card. The 9600Pro manages overall very smooth and even framerates throughout most games, even 4xFSAA/8x aniso are often fully usable.
      The only disadvantage of this card is that it is NOT a benchmark-runner.

So if high 3DMarks is more important to you than gameplay, this is not the card for you.
      But we named the *dog* Indiana...
      My System
      2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
      German ATI-forum

Comment

Tom generally says bad things about ATI since Nvidia is lining his wallet
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Thanks a lot!
          But today, when I went to the shop to buy it, it was sold out.
          (Bad omen?)

Anyway, I'll buy it, sooner or later.

Comment

??? - Hercules 3D Prophet 9800SE AIW 128MB ???

??? - PowerColor Radeon 9700PRO AIW 128MB DDR ???

Video input, capture? TV out?

Comments, please.

Fred H
            It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
            ------------------------------------------------

Comment

The 9700Pro will be much faster than the 9800SE.
              Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Yes, the 9700 will be MUCH faster.
                Other features should be exactly the same, as AFAIK all Radeon AIW cards are equipped with the same RageTheater chip.
                My System
                German ATI-forum

Comment

Thanks,
                  and what about the:
                  Asus Radeon 9600XT 128MB DDR
                  AGP, ATI 9600XT, DVI-I, VIVO ?
                  It is cheaper, no TV tuner but I need only analog video input and TV output. TV tuner is not a major need here.
                  At the present I am sending video via SCSRT to a VCR and via the VCR's RF tuner to the TV. By this I can record video to VCR too.
                  I can also watch and capture from TV to the PC in the same way (of course, in the reversed direction)

How do these cards work in this setup?

Fred H
                  Last edited by Fred H; 31 December 2003, 03:01.

Comment

All the following are on XP2500+'s with at least 512MB of PC3200:

I have a Connect 3D 9600Pro 128MB - gets around 3200 3dMark03s. (costs ~£120)
                    I just built a system using the ASUS 9600Pro XT - ~3700. (costs ~£145 and includes the HL2 voucher)

A mate bought 2off Hercules 9800SE AIW - both have softmodded to 9800Pro AIW. went from 3800 to 5800 with no o/c. costs £160.

I've played Simpsons H&R and Max Payne 2 so far on my 9600Pro and its very smooth indeed. The latest Tomb Raider game suffers a little.

HTH

T.
                    FT.

Comment

9700 non-pro is best value in the us, imo, $182 delivered. it is the cheapest way to get full 256 bit bus'. better than any 9600, especially when you use aa/af.

i realize you're not in the us, but maybe similar price scaling over there...?
                      P4b@2.7, AOpen ax4spe max II, 4X Parhelia 128 with Zalman zm80c and fan -or- ATI Radeon X800GTO, 1024mb.

Comment

9700 non-pro is best value in the us
                        Non-pro is not a VIVO and not an aiw card.
                        It's not my thread, but I asked about different cards with VIVO or AIW. The game futures, speed is ok but not the major needs for me.

Has anybody a comment about the Asus Radeon 9600XT 128MB DDR
                        AGP, ATI 9600XT, DVI-I, VIVO, in comparation with other brands, regarding the video capture and video output to TV or VCR?

Fred H

Comment

Hmm, some say the VIVO cards have (together with all other non-AIW cards) worse TVOut than those AIWs, because only the latter are equipped with the RageTheater chip.
                          I cannot really confirm this myself.

Be aware that the TVOut of the AIW as well as the VIVO will be a bit less sharp than that of your G400, though.
                          Otherwise, if you don't need the tuner, the realtime MPEG2-recording (not really possible with your system anyways...) and the other nice AIW features, the VIVO should be a nice and cost-efficient solution.
                          Last edited by Indiana; 1 January 2004, 05:45.
                          My System
                          German ATI-forum

Comment

Originally posted by Fred H
                            Non-pro is not a VIVO and not an aiw card.
                            It's not my thread, but I asked about different cards with VIVO or AIW. The game futures, speed is ok but not the major needs for me.

Has anybody a comment about the Asus Radeon 9600XT 128MB DDR
                            AGP, ATI 9600XT, DVI-I, VIVO, in comparation with other brands, regarding the video capture and video output to TV or VCR?

Fred H
                            Gotcha.

There is a 9700 non-pro aiw for $280.

No experience with any 9600...
                            P4b@2.7, AOpen ax4spe max II, 4X Parhelia 128 with Zalman zm80c and fan -or- ATI Radeon X800GTO, 1024mb.

Comment

I love the 9800Pro AIW, has excellent TV-out, and is very easy to use.

And the gaming isn't half bad either.
                              "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Working...
                              X