MUST-Read AntiVirus pgm-comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MUST-Read AntiVirus pgm-comparison

Just as I have been tellen everyone for years now!
    The other day I bought a copy of "PC-Utilities" issue 43.
    In there was a comprehensive test (held in October 2003) of 48 anti-virus tools, which were let loose on 58,306 different viruses/viri.

Similar tests were also conducted in May 2002, November 2002 and May 2003.
    The top dogs in all tests were:
    always no. 1: F-Secure (99.6 %)
    always no. 2: Kaspersky (99.5 %)
    and McAfee (97.1) always a number of places ahead of Norton (90.1 %).

The results of the May 2003 test can be seen here:

On the left on that webpage are links to the other mentioned tests.
    The results of the October-test will be published on the above website in mid-February 2004. Until then you will either have to buy said mag or wait.

The free AVG that I installed a few days ago landed in position 26 with a result of only 65 %.
    Guess where I will be heading?
    (Quote taken from the 3dspotlight forums)
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

All I know is that Sophos, F-secure, Nortons and Mcafee have failed at times to detect the Nachi or Blaster worm.

It seems once the worm is installed and running as a service the virus checkers seem to ignore it. Results are varied some will squalk when you try to delete the file yet next time the same program won't even flinch under the same circumstances. Sopho's were asked about this but came back with a dumb reply. "Please ensure you've got all the latest engine and ides" Yup we have thats why we queried with you. Response after that Nil.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

This test is old enough as to be meaningless. AV software is constantly on the move. A more recent test might show completely different results.

Comment

Eset's NOD32 doesn't appear on the list

According to Virus Bulletin it's been one of the best for the last years!
        Best IT security solutions for your home and business devices. Try ESET antivirus and internet security solutions for Windows, Android, Mac or Linux OS.
        <font face="verdana, arial, helvetica" size="1" >epox 8RDA+ running an Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1.7Ghz with 2x256mb Crucial PC2700, an Adaptec 1200A IDE-Raid with 2x WD 7200rpm 40Gb striped + a 120Gb and a 20Gb Seagate, 2x 17" LG Flatron 775FT, a Cordless Logitech Trackman wheel and a <b>banding enhanced</b> Matrox Parhelia 128 retail shining thru a Koolance PC601-Blue case window<br>and for God's sake pay my <a href="http://www.drslump.biz">site</a> a visit!</font>

Comment

This test is confused and stupid.

I consistently see tests like this from supposedly reputable places that are just plain WRONG.

(Mind you, this doesn't even BEGIN to address the fact that these reviews and tests don't factor in the stability or speed - or lack thereof - of these programs. McAfee would never get ANY recommendations if they admitted that it erased 1 out of 10 systems' c:\windows\system32 directory!)

AVG catches virtually EVERYTHING. Kaspersky is way behind, and F-Secure - while good - is slow and ugly. Right now Norton is probably close to the top, but has failed repeatedly to catch viruses due to their "not every day" update policies.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

I don't use an antivirus at all. It's been like that for the last 4 years and everything is running smoothly. A decent firewall and being carefull with incoming e-mails is usually enough.
            "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX
              I don't use an antivirus at all. It's been like that for the last 4 years and everything is running smoothly. A decent firewall and being carefull with incoming e-mails is usually enough.
              ahh, just you wait

Luck wont hold your hand indefinitly
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
                ahh, just you wait

Luck wont hold your hand indefinitly
                Luck doesn't hold my hand since I run Win2k (read: Micro$oft OS) so I need a full reinstall every year to keep things running smoothly (or in other words - avoiding those damn BSODs that come after one too many driver/software updates).

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX
                  Luck doesn't hold my hand since I run Win2k (read: Micro$oft OS) so I need a full reinstall every year to keep things running smoothly (or in other words - avoiding those damn BSODs that come after one too many driver/software updates).
                  Funny haven't done a full install for years. The only problems I've got are as follows.

1) Incorrectly working usb steering wheel. Thats Saitek driver problem which effects quite a few users under XP.

2) Camera that loads the wrong drivers. XP problem or Fujifilm driver problem???

All crashes have been hardware related. Faulty CPU which then killed the motherboard. Nothing to do with Microshaft.

Going back to virus's you've been lucky so far but one will get you.
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Got to agree with Tech, one day you will be bitten

I have always got my virus from my mates PC though, same network, his PC is about as secure as a whores....

On win2k as well and I only ever do a complete rebuild when I build a brand new system.

Comment

How exactly ?
                      Downdoads ? I don't download much and when I do it's from "trusted" sources.
                      e-mails ? I know how to be carefull with those ?
                      Hackers ? C'mon, with all due respect my computer isn't THAT interesting and besides, my firewall is quite tightly closed and doesn't return pings.

The only "virus" I have is M$ software updates...

And by the way, I miscalulated. I haven't used an anti-virus software for more than 6 years already.

Comment

And how do you know your trusted source isn't infected. You don't. Emails okay if you use a mailer that uses text based only I suppose. But again that trusted source and the attachment they sent.
                        Oh and that nice friend that says can I use your pc for a few seconds I need to send an email.
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                          And how do you know your trusted source isn't infected.
                          You don't.
                          If they're infected, you bet your antivirus won't stand a chance.

Emails okay if you use a mailer that uses text based only I suppose. But again that trusted source and the attachment they sent.
                          I don't run executable attachments and my mailer is blocked by the firewall to ports 25 and 110 respectivly (110 in, 25 out) so it can't do much.
                          Oh and that nice friend that says can I use your pc for a few seconds I need to send an email.
                          What's the problem with that ? I don't have a FDD installed on my computer anyway so . . .

Comment

I always go by the Virus Bulletin:

Comment

I have come accross a couple of websites that had a virus run from them, one of the artists listed on my site had uploaded a dodgy file without realising it, Norton did catch it for me though, can't be sure about the rest of his visitors.

Comment

Working...
                              X