Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pioneer DVR106 DVD+-R

Hi All,

I am considering buying the Pioneer DVR106 DVD+-R x4 DVD Writer. I have the DVR105 and have nothing to camplain about, (after updating the firmware to the latest available).

I am interested in the 106 mainly because of the "+" and "-" features but feel unsure as to how reliable a burner can be with both + and - on the same hardware.

Any advice ?

Best wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

Debbie
    We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

Re: Pioneer DVR106 DVD+-R

Originally posted by Debbie
    I am interested in the 106 mainly because of the "+" and "-" features but feel unsure as to how reliable a burner can be with both + and - on the same hardware.
    Shouldn't be any less reliable than a single format drive

If you want a quicker drive both Plextor and Lite-On do 8x models
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Debbie

I've just bought one for a friend. I chose it because it gets high praise for being compatable with the widest range of media.

HTH

T.
      FT.

Comment

The issue with those burners is that whichever media type is the "addon" (in the case of the Pioneer it's +R since the 105 was a -R only drive) has pretty weak support, at least for a while. At this point the 106 is a great drive though.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

A-ha. LDW411S came from the 401S which was + only, and can apparently be modded to do - as well. Explains why the 411S initially had problems with - media. I of course have had no such problems as I only had + media until after I updated the firmware to FSOF. No coasters so far using elcheapo (25 for 18 quid) - media, burning at 4x. My sister in Florida has the A106, no problems with it either.
          [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
          Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
          Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
          Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
          Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Yep. The key here is, as with anything, not to be an early adopter.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Re: Pioneer DVR106 DVD+-R

Originally posted by Debbie
              Hi All,

I am considering buying the Pioneer DVR106 DVD+-R x4 DVD Writer. I have the DVR105 and have nothing to camplain about, (after updating the firmware to the latest available).

Any advice ?

Best wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

Debbie
              Check the price before you buy. It's just dropped to less than 90 EUR w/o VAT...

Comment

You might want to check NEC and Lite On tho. I must say I have a Pioneer DVD drive (2nd actually) and I think it's beginning to missbehave. Don't know if it's going to be plagued by the same problem since I never owned a writer from Pioneer. But I know that my dvd drives had problems after a couple of years and always because of the same thing : poor cd / dvd writable medias.... wonder if the other brands have the same prob tho.
                Let those who want to be simple, be simple.

Comment

Yeah, the prices have JUST come down on DVD burners. You can get a good one for $100 USD now.

- Gurm

Comment

107 is coming

Comment

I own a NEC 1300 DVD +/- burner. The only advantage I experienced is that the variety of cheaper media is larger. From the beginning I tried DVD-RW vs. DVD+RW. The +RW could be written faster, 2.4X while the –RW only 2.0X. Not a big deal, anyway.
                      My cheapo, stand alone DVD player has no problem to read DVD+ or -.
                      One of my daughters (my son-in-law) has a Pioneer 105. My older daughter owns a newer Pioneer 106.
                      The quality is the same for the 105 and 106. Only the DVD+R/RW give an extra point for the 106.

Fred H
                      It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
                      ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                      X