Who makes Emprex DVD+/-R/RW drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who makes Emprex DVD+/-R/RW drive?

Anyone know who actually makes Emprex brand 4X DVD+/-R/RW drive?

I picked one up a couple of weeks ago at Fry's for $90 (no rebate!) and so far it seems pretty good, but I haven't had time to burn 4X DVD video and check for playback on my stand-alones.

It came with Roxio 6, but so far I've just used the Nero 5.5.10.54 I already had installed.

Doesn't seem to offer 4x burn speed with the 4X DVD+RW blank included. Could be this version of Nero doesn't know about 4X DVD+RW burning (or the fact I've got it in a 1394 enclosure, doesn't seem likely as everyting else seems to work except 4X). I'd hate to install Roxio and risk breaking my system -- not sure I need 4X burns that badly!

Anyone using Nero 5.5 with 4X burners?
    Not sure I like what they've done with Nero 6 :-( so I haven't upgraded.

--wally.

code ID10T on me!

The included DVD+RW was not 4X it was 2.4X! Mystery solved, the way the disk envelope window was positioned I saw 4X DVD+RW, when the tray came out I saw the 2. had been covered up!

Nero is burning fine at 4X for both DVD-R and DVD+R with this drive, now to see if the disks play in stand-alones that play the 2X disks.

Seems like a pretty good buy so far, I'd planed on waiting to get one of the Liteon 4X DVD+/- burners that Best Buy advertised for $100 *after* $50 rebate, but they were out and $90 with no rebate made me take a chance. So far so good.

--wally.

Comment

Hey Wally,

Yeah I got in on the deal too! It's a good buy... I've since seen one cheaper by about $10, but I've burned about 13 discs so far. The -R's seem to work the best along with the +RW that came with the drive. I've tried one +R burned for DVD purpose and it does play in my set top, but skips and hangs alot. So I think the -R's are the best so far for me.

Also as a side note at first I thought I would have to take it back because I couldn't get a regular hollywood DVD to play in it. Found out tho that the region code was set to 2. I am in region 1 [USA].

Well if you read the readme, manual or whatever that comes with the drive they tell you how to change the region code. Just make sure you get it right tho they only give you like 4 chances.

Not sure who actually makes it... but it was a steal at $90.

Comment

i can't convince my burner to recognise my blank dvd-r/dvd-rw media. i've used four different brands...and i know my luck isn't THAT horrid....and every time i insert a blank dvd-r or dvd-rw disc, every burning app i have that would normally let me burn to dvd does not recognise my blank dvd media. any suggestions?

Comment

I've not had any problems so far, but I've not tried DVD-RW, burned plenty of DVD-R, DVD+R and a few DVD+RW.

You might have a defective unit. I'd return it for exchange or refund.

--wally.

Comment

i'd love to. but i purchased it back in late January. it's nearly April now...i doubt they'll take it back....especially since i have no receipt either.

Comment

Emprex is made by BTC in Taiwan. However, both have a website that are exactly the same.

or
              英群/鈺群企業累積了多年電子代工專業技能,專精EMS代工.SMT代工推薦,DIP,組裝.測試,包裝,OEM全製程服務,近年更因應全球環保意識,發展各式節能標章LED室內照明產品,未來將持續發展智能照明及其系統,營業項目包含停車場節能標章、節能補助led燈管推薦,燈具推薦,天井燈,無塵室黃光燈等,嚴格要求為客戶提供、推薦最優良的品質及最好的服務,成為客戶加工夥伴為我司努力目標

or
              EMPREX英群企業丨led燈具照明製造商供應商廠商,專營照明工程,led燈管推薦,led天井燈推薦。在台灣研發led燈具包括led燈管,燈泡,無塵室黃光燈管,T5 T8燈管,天井燈,吸頂燈,平板燈,一體燈。從製造到施工安裝工程,提供照明燈具設備最佳節能方案,產品符合安全規範,ODM,OEM客製化設計開發,自有工廠台灣在地生產,以自有品牌行銷銷售於全世界

okay?

Comment

i just found this out today. i was instructed to go to www.drvupdate.com
                from there i further researched and found this out. they instructed me to send the device back to them, they have a center in the Bay Area here in CA (Fremont, CA).
                hopefully i get a drive that functions correctly out of all this.

Comment

Emprex DVD Dual

Box says "In USA: www.allsupport.net
                  Ken

Comment

Working...
                  X