NEC shows prototype dual DVD/HD-DVD drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEC shows prototype dual DVD/HD-DVD drive

Of course with every step forward, there's a step back...

However, it can't be used to read current DVDs so future optical disc players won't be able to read both kinds of disc without the development of a combined optical head.
    Which also means old dvd players are on the way out.

Read the whole story here.

Heres another link with pix

Tokyo, December 18, 2003, NEC Corporation today announced development of technology capable of recording and playing back both current DVDs and next generation DVDs (HD DVD - High Definition & High Density DVD) with a single optical head, and its success in creating a compatible drive based on this technology.
    paulw

Comment

Features of the HD DVD include:

(1) The ability to respond to the Contents-Media industry by sharing manufacturing infrastructure for current DVDs, thereby reducing manufacturing costs.
      (2) Realization of a compatibility function enabling the playback of current DVDs.
      (3) A cartridge-less disc structure the same as the current DVD, thus making it possible to realize a thin drive suitable for mounting on notebook PCs and adaptable to various optical discs.
      (4) Realization of dual-layer large-capacity discs with the same 0.6 mm disc bonded structure as current DVDs, which are considered to be the best format for users, disc manufacturers, contents makers and drive makers.
      Smart. Nobody will buy the damned thing if they can't play their DVD collection on it.

(At least, I won't!)

Let's hear it for backwards-compatability!

Kevin

Comment

I don't know, once you get used to watching good quality HD broadcasts, the store bought DVDs don't look so good anymore.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about existing DVDs being incompatible with whatever HD distribution format ends up being adopted any more than I would about my DVD player not being able to play my VHS & SVHS tapes. Price of media, ablity to make my own, and price of players/recorders are the most important factors to me.

Like with DVD and VHS, combo devices will appear if the market will pay the premium to save some space.

OTOH if the HD players can't play existing disks I'd like to see a different form factor, I get tired of trying to explain all the different 5" optical disk formats to people, adding more isn't the best idea unless some very low level manufactoring issues make it uneconomical to change the form factor enough to make it obvious the disks are not compatible.

--wally.

Comment

Working...
        X