Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of MB's will my 2X G400 Max work in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of MB's will my 2X G400 Max work in?

Parital crosspost of: http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php...050#post443050

I need to replace the MB my max is running in.
    Preferably with an Athlon type.
    Preferably SIS chipset.

I have forgotten the details of how the old 2x Maxes worked with 4x/8x AGP slots.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Chuck
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

The G400Max can be modded in order to obtain AGP4X voltage selection as default on certain AGP4X compliant INTEL mainboards.

The problem is that G400Max and those Intel chipset does not adopt the same revision of AGP4X specifications.

I don't know if the problem is only on certain Intel chipsets or on some SIS chipset too.

If you wat to mod your G400Max, here you can find all the necessary details:
    Safe to mount a G400Max on a i845D chipset?
    (Read the entire thread)

My G400Max, now and strangely run safely at AGP4X after the mod !!
    (read this thread: G400Max (not an AGP 4X version) detected as 4X !!! )

I think your G400Max will work on non-intel chipset, also if modded.

Bye !
    Last edited by Zanna; 16 December 2003, 09:11.
    <b><i><font size="+1">Zanna.</font></i></b>
    <p><b><font size="-2"><hr>Current Config: Asus P4C800 Deluxe / Intel Pentium 4c 3.2 Ghz - 800 Mhz Bus / Dual 512Mb DDR 400 Ram (1Gb) / Matrox Millennium G400Max /&nbsp;&nbsp;Sound Blaster Audigy 2 /&nbsp; Western Digital WD2500JB: 250 Gb-7.2Krpm-8MBcache! / Superfloppy LS120 /&nbsp;Yamaha CRW-F1e /&nbsp;LG&nbsp;52x CDROM /&nbsp;Dual Boot 98se / W2k</font></b></p>

Comment

Interesting reading, but
      I gave up and added a G450:
      it just seemed easier
      chuck
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

.... but if you want some more performance, you must take in serious cosideration that the G450 chip is a bit slower than the G400, and the G400Max is faster than the G400.

At least: a G400Max must be noticeably faster than a G450.

The G450 Chip was an "economical" version of the G400, because is based on a memory interface that have half the bits but on a DDR design.
        In this way Matrox had the opportunity to design a PCB with less contacts and runs, more simple and cheaper.

What do you think: it's faster a 128 Bit Dualbus or a 64 bit DDR Dualbus ?

I think the DDR latency is a little problem, causing a little lack of performances.

Bye..
        Last edited by Zanna; 17 December 2003, 05:31.
        <b><i><font size="+1">Zanna.</font></i></b>
        <p><b><font size="-2"><hr>Current Config: Asus P4C800 Deluxe / Intel Pentium 4c 3.2 Ghz - 800 Mhz Bus / Dual 512Mb DDR 400 Ram (1Gb) / Matrox Millennium G400Max /&nbsp;&nbsp;Sound Blaster Audigy 2 /&nbsp; Western Digital WD2500JB: 250 Gb-7.2Krpm-8MBcache! / Superfloppy LS120 /&nbsp;Yamaha CRW-F1e /&nbsp;LG&nbsp;52x CDROM /&nbsp;Dual Boot 98se / W2k</font></b></p>

Comment

Zanna,
          Thanks for the advice.
          But 3D speed is not a factor.
          The computer belongs to my wife, who does not play 3D games.
          I was more concerned with cost and dual-head capability for this purchase.
          chuck
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
          X