Render DVDs in Half D1 352x480

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Render DVDs in Half D1 352x480

I'm converting my old VHS tapes to DVD. I am capturing from a Pinnacle PCTV card using Virtual VCR to create an AVI file using HuffYUV at 720x480. I'm using Pinnacle Studio 8 to edit the AVIs and create a DVD.

The issue I have is that I can't figure out how to render the DVD in Half D1 352x480 resolution (an NTSC option) with Studio 8. Wouldn't this 352x480 resolution let me lower the bitrate giving me a great deal more capacity on the DVD without a sacrifice in resolution? Is this really a big deal given my input source is OLD VHS tapes? My goal is to get around 2 hours of VHS quality on my DVDs with minimal menus.

What could I use to author in Half D1 352x480 resolution? TMPEGEnc DVD Author? Is Pinnacle Studio 8 "good enough" at encoding the AVIs to MPGs? Could I cut out a product by using Pinnacle Studion 8 to capture as well?

I have tried uLead MovieFactory 2 (trial version) which would allow rendering in 352x480 but it 1) wouldn't take HuffYUV as input and 2) forced re-encoding if you trimmed the captures at all.

While I'm learning the ins and outs of this process, my goal is not to be an expert at these arcane tools but to be a capable user. Is there a small, simple set of tools that can help me accomplish this?

What could I use to author in Half D1 352x480 resolution?
    I use to author SVCDs (480x576 PAL) to DVD with IFOEDIT:

To author 2 or more SVCDs with it (for burning to DVD) is a bit tricky, but it works.
    Ulead DVD Movie Factory is slow.

Fred H
    It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
    ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
    X