Stupid Harddrive problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Harddrive problem

I'm having problems putting in a 8GB hard drive into an older DEC Celebris PC. The BIOS picks up the drive no problem and reports it as the proper size. But if you go into Fdisk, it shows the drive as a 985 MB drive and you can't setup a DOS partition on it at all. Its running DOS 6.22 with Win 3.11. The drive it was replacing was a 6 GB drive that didnt have any problems in DOS. I tried using Maxtors maxblast 3 to set up the drive, but I was running into memory errors with that...since I think it need 16MB RAM and I only have 8 in this PC.

I can put in a Windows 95 boot disk and I can see the drive and set up partitions on it without a problem, using Fdisk off that boot disk. But once I boot off the main HDD in the PC and take a look at it comes back reporting it as 985MB HDD with out a DOS partition on it.

Have any suggestions?
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Odd sounds like pqmagic time to me.
    Remember win95 can only format to 2 gig anyway so thats the max you should get. Try using the old system to format it. Is the bios detecting it as lba or chs just out of interest?
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Win 95 had versions that could do more, no?
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

ok well I really buggered up...but I degress. I managed to wipe out the main partion on C: since I wasn't paying attention to which drive I was cleaning off in fdisk

Heres what I did...I set up the C drive (540Mb HHD) and then went to the 8.5GB drive and set it up with 3 partitions of 2GB each and one with 900Mb left over. I did this with using FDISK on the Windows 95 boot disk I downloaded. Then I rebooted using the Windows 95 boot disk and formated all the drives I made up. I rebooted the PC again, this time with a DOS 6.22 disk. It saw the 540MB drive without any problems, BUT I still have the problem with it reporting the drive as 969MB instead of 8GB.

I think I'm just gonna get another PC tommorow and take the drives out of it and copy them over to take care of this shit

Comment

AFAIK dos 6.x (fat16) cannot handle drives of that size - I think you will need Fat32 (=Win95).

Comment

Originally posted by a_h
            AFAIK dos 6.x (fat16) cannot handle drives of that size - I think you will need Fat32 (=Win95).
            Windows 95 supports FAT16 till OSR2 which has FAT32 support

Comment

Umm. ok! You got a problem.

Comment

Working...
              X