Lindows loses trademark case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lindows loses trademark case

Judges in Finland and Sweden have given Microsoft what it has twice been denied in the US: preliminary injunctions barring Linux vendor Lindows.com Inc. from using the Lindows name.

Computerworld covers a range of technology topics, with a focus on these core areas of IT: generative AI, Windows, mobile, Apple/enterprise, office suites, productivity software, and collaboration software, as well as relevant information about companies such as Microsoft, Apple, and Google.

It kind of makes sense in non-English speaking countries.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

The First version of X-windows was about 1984-86. Does that predate MS windows ?

Comment

If EU tm law is anything like the US, it doesn't matter. It would matter if it's patent law, but not with trademarks.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

People like Andersen and Pella sell windows in the United States, and have been for much longer than Microsoft has existed. I think they should be eligible to receive royalties, since Microsoft has used their well-known products to describe its own.

Comment

A Lindows copy costs 50$, an OEM Windows XP about 80$. Also, Lindows charges you extra for using a bloody download service, just so that the average Joe doesn't need to go through the horrors of installing stuff in Linux. Other Linux distributions are free and they don't have some jackass dissing MS in a weekly newsletter. So, all in all, **** THEM.
            All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Yeah lindows does not have to many friends in the linux world(even tho it is linux), but the Lindows is a perfectly legit trade name as far as I am concerned.

In fact I think anything with name windows in it as long as it's not actual single word "windows" is quite legitimate.
              OS 's had "windows" before MS, and they called them windows then and they still call em windows now.

I think any glazier should be able to use windows in there trade name but MS has had a shot a few for trying...

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
                In fact I think anything with name windows in it as long as it's not actual single word "windows" is quite legitimate.
                OS 's had "windows" before MS, and they called them windows then and they still call em windows now.
                Not in other languages they don't.

Comment

Thats true, but "Lindows" Its not in the dictionary and MS has not trademarked that name... so how did they win the case in sweden? M$ B$ I guess

Comment

It's a "confusingly similar" standard. If a Swedish company had a product here in the States called "Fönster" and some other company released a replacement product "Vönster," they'd probably get hit, too.

Comment

It's not like that didn't know this was going to happen
                      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Working...
                      X