AMD introduces cheaper Athlon64 300+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD introduces cheaper Athlon64 300+

Socket 754, same clockspeed as A64 3200+, but smaller L2 cache, for 250 EUR.

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

woah!!! nice. finally!

now I am waiting for a Socket 939 A64 FX

Comment

Makes perfect sense...a great way to use defective A64's for something useful...
      Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Originally posted by K6-III
        Makes perfect sense...a great way to use defective A64's for something useful...
        ROFL
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by K6-III
          Well at least they don't sell it as a fully operational A64 at the full price - and then add a small text on their website that cache size might vary +/- 50%

(I seem to remember having heard somewhere of a certain company doing exactly this...)
          But we named the *dog* Indiana...
          My System
          2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
          German ATI-forum

Comment

Good move.

Comment

well it seems that that athlon beats the intel 3.2GHz in eight of the nine benchmarks, and one of them by 27%.

Comment

is that what they are really doing?

Sorry for the n00bness, but how is it possible tho, just cut out the defective cache? :?

Comment

It's not like the first time they do it, think Thorton (neutered Barton).

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer
                    is that what they are really doing?

Sorry for the n00bness, but how is it possible tho, just cut out the defective cache? :?
                    You don't have to cut it out, you just blow some fuses so that you don't try to use it. It's like having a blown bulb in a string of Christmas lights
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

They cut bridges, but they're under the heatspreader.

AZ
                      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

And Intel does/did the same with their Celeron - and ATi does/did the same with the Radeon9500 and 9800SE products. And NVidia does a similar thing with their "XT" cards.

And Matrox does... - no wait, they're selling the defective chips just lower clocked at the same price as the full clocked retail .
                        But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                        My System
                        2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                        German ATI-forum

Comment

Originally posted by az
                          They cut bridges, but they're under the heatspreader.

AZ
                          Speaking from design experience, intel doesn't just use bridges. They have one-time fuses on the silicon that can't be fixed. They can be blown after packaging.
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Probably as you say, but as can be seen with Thorton and Applebred, all AMD uses is the bridges.

Comment

ah, that makes a lot of sense. that's a very smart way to sell defective stuff!

Comment

Working...
                              X