refresh rate and speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• refresh rate and speed

How much does a higher or lower refresh rate effect the video cards performance, if at all?
    P4b@2.7, AOpen ax4spe max II, 4X Parhelia 128 with Zalman zm80c and fan -or- ATI Radeon X800GTO, 1024mb.

There are a couple factors here, but...

A little.

Unless, of course, the video card is so fast that it can render more FPS than the refresh rate, in which case it can monkey with things a bit.

But if you have a normal human-level card like the rest of us, the difference between 85hz and 120hz is minimal.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
      There are a couple factors here, but...

A little.

Unless, of course, the video card is so fast that it can render more FPS than the refresh rate, in which case it can monkey with things a bit.

But if you have a normal human-level card like the rest of us, the difference between 85hz and 120hz is minimal.

- Gurm
      My monitor supports 100, but I run at 85 because I see no difference. At 75 though, I see flicker. Being as I am attempting to take full advantage of my Parhelia's IQ I thought I should max out the refresh.

Thanks for the quick reply!
      P4b@2.7, AOpen ax4spe max II, 4X Parhelia 128 with Zalman zm80c and fan -or- ATI Radeon X800GTO, 1024mb.

Comment

Hey, if 85Hz works for you, keep it there. Faster refresh rates just increase monitor wear'n'tear a bit.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Guess it's all about v-sync and how fast your card is.
          When you have v-sync on, it's supposed to be the maximum of fps your screen displays.
          With v-sync off it's up to as much frames as your card can deliver, yet you need a high enough refresh rate (85, 100 Hz) to eliminate tearing (parts of the screen moving ahead of others when you turn).

Benchmarks are generally run with v-sync off, for the obvious reason of not limiting the maximum framerate of the videocard by the monitor's refresh rate. In games, where you don't really see a difference if you have a maximum of 85 or 100 fps on screen instead of 100-200 fps, it's more pleasing to the eye to run with v-sync on.

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral
            Guess it's all about v-sync and how fast your card is.
            When you have v-sync on, it's supposed to be the maximum of fps your screen displays.
            With v-sync off it's up to as much frames as your card can deliver, yet you need a high enough refresh rate (85, 100 Hz) to eliminate tearing (parts of the screen moving ahead of others when you turn).

Benchmarks are generally run with v-sync off, for the obvious reason of not limiting the maximum framerate of the videocard by the monitor's refresh rate. In games, where you don't really see a difference if you have a maximum of 85 or 100 fps on screen instead of 100-200 fps, it's more pleasing to the eye to run with v-sync on.
            I've had bad luck with V-sync. If it's on it adds choppiness to games, so I leave it off. I find this to be the case on my Parhelia and ATI 9700, but I only refer to gaming, haven't tried with work related programs. But I will check it out now that you mention it.

Thanks!

Comment

If it's on it adds choppiness to games,....
              I've experienced that with very few games, NOLF 2 being one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral
                I've experienced that with very few games, NOLF 2 being one of them.
                NFS Underground and NHL 2004 here...

Comment

Working...
                X