X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women addle men's math

NATURE:

Pretty faces make men reach for money.

Men with more on offer might be better able to win the girl.

Pretty ladies make men want wealth with which to impress, according to a new study - even if they'll be worse off in the long run.

Psychologists Margo Wilson and Martin Daly at McMaster University in Hamilton, Canada, asked students whether they would prefer, say, $19 tomorrow or $25 next week. They then showed them the faces of ladies whose attractiveness was ranked on the website 'How Hot Am I?'.

After eyeballing pictures of pretty women, men were more likely to want immediate monetary gratification than to wait for a bigger bonus. Women's calculations, on the other hand, were unaffected by male eye candy, as were men's after ogling plainer women or fancy cars.

With ladies fresh in their minds, men want money immediately because they might use it to impress and woo them, Wilson suggests. Such a trait might have been evolutionarily advantageous: men with more to offer might have been better able to get the girl.

The study suggests that the brain areas triggered by a cute face are linked to those that calculate rewards, Wilson says. She next plans to study whether men also covet other resources to wow the ladies, such as food or gifts, and whether older or married men are immune to the women's effect.

The results also support the idea that advertisements featuring attractive women seduce men into parting with their money, Wilson adds. "But I guess the marketing people already knew that," she says.
    Well DUH......

I wonder how much this example of stating the obvious cost the Canadian taxpayers

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 11 December 2003, 14:37.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

We have a long history of giving money for stupid or redundant research.
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Amen Doc. What a foolish waste of money and time. Thank god that the morons who study things like this are probably too stupid to do important research anyway.
      Bart

Comment

you never know what research is stupid.

nobody would have thought that the research on the eyes of lobsters (iirc) 20 years ago by some biology-wackos would lead to the technology used nowadays to focus x-rays...

mfg
        wulfman
        "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
        "Lobsters?"
        "Really? I didn't know they did that."
        "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Touche. Good point, but THIS particular research sounds rather infantile.
          Bart

Comment

Working...
          X