Studio DC10plus or Matrox Marvel 400?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studio DC10plus or Matrox Marvel 400?

Which of these two is the better option for video editing of home movies from a camcorder and outputing them to video tape?

I currently use a Marvel 200, but I think it has developed a fault, in that it has started to only record in black and white on video tape. I've tried everything to get it to work again but no success. I've also tried four different video recorders, and I only get it to work on one of them.

So I'm thinking of getting a new video card and hope that solves the problem. So which card is the better option?

Hi Hammer,

The G400 Marvel is pretty much the same as the G200 as far as vidcap is concerned (although the 3D is much prettier). The only time I've had a DC10 to play with, it gave me a tough time although it did produce good results back out to tape. I do have a DC30+ which doesn't get as much excercise as I would like due to the fact that the only AGP graphics cards I have are both Marvels, so I have to run it alongside a PCI card. When I've added in a NIC, soundcard, modem (or whatever), I start getting short of slots.

But when it's up and running it does a great job !

Comment

The Marvel G400 has a few improvements that DO affect editing and capture over the Marvel G200 and a lot of other analog cards for that matter. They are;

Improved procamps (I/O amplifiers)

Dualhead (this allows you to export to the vidout for recording virtually any codec, not just MJPeg. Even DV, MPEG-1/2/4 & DivX)

Better YUY2 captures

I'd never go back....

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 11 December 2000).]

Comment

I'd be interested in understanding more of what vidout can do. To what kind of device to I output too? How can I send DV out as there is only S-Video and Composite outputs on the bluebox. If I were to send DV, Mpeg output etc then what kind of receiving devices would I have hanging on the end?
        NickT

Comment

I'm always happy to stand corrected by the Doc, and since he spends one hell of a lot more time than I do in close contact with these babies, I don't doubt his analysis. Sure as hell dual-head is helpful, wish that I'd got better than a 5"LCD for my TV monitor (but even that's better than nothing by a long way). And I haven't yet had the pleasure of YUY capture (although when I do it's likely to be on a G200).

Wyntha, the "DV out" that Doc is referring to isn't output to a DV device, but output of a DV clip/project to analogue via the Dual-Head feature.

Comment

Exactly. The dualhead can put just about anything out to S-Video or composite. Just the other day I was outputting some RealVideo to my preview monitor.

I'd never buy another card without at least this level of dualhead functionality.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Dr. M, have you heard if ATI is coming out with a dh?

Comment

None that I know of.

The only chipsets I know of with such a feature are Matrox G400/450(DualHead) and NVIDIA GeForce2 MX (TwinView). Matrox's is much more mature. Just read this;

http://www.technoyard.com/hardware/v...00/page_1.html

Also of interest is that Win2K won't let DualHead cards, Matrox or NVIDIA based, use different resolutions for both displays. Both must use the same resolution. Wonderful...

Dr. Mordrid

------------------
                ===================
                Asus P3B-F 6 PCI
                PIII/850
                Gigabyte GA-6R7+ slotkey
                Matrox G400/Flex3D
                Matrox RT-2000
                256 megs RAM
                Promise SuperTrak100 (4 x 60g IBM 75GXP: 240g RAID0)
                AWE64 Gold
                ===================

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 15 December 2000).]

Comment

I recently sold Miro DC10plus and bought Matrox Marvel g400TV. And don't regret at all. It has all the options offered by Miro, very decent videocard, and TV tuner. All three beverages in one bottle.

------------------
                  Anatoly Neverov
                  Minsk, Belarus
                  Anatoly Neverov
                  Minsk, Belarus

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid:
                    Exactly. The dualhead can put just about anything out to S-Video or composite. Just the other day I was outputting some RealVideo to my preview monitor.

I'd never buy another card without at least this level of dualhead functionality.

Dr. Mordrid
                    Doc,

How is this done with the G400-TV?
                    This is what I'm trying to accomplish right now. I have captured from DV using the DvRaptor card. Edited with Premiere (your favorite ) and now I need the final to go out to VCR.

Kevin

Comment

You must enable a feature called DVD Max in order to output any video format out to TV.

If you have any problems let us know.
                      Regards,
                      Elie

Comment

Thanks Elie.

I'm assuming that would be set in PowerDesk correct?

Comment

Yes,
                          To get to it, you goto your Powerdesk settings -> Advanced -> DualHead -> then you check DualHead Clone, DVDMax, or Zoom.

Then you make sure you check "Use DualHead DVD Max" below, THEN you click on the DVDMax TV Settings tab and set your output to the desired settings you wish.
                          Voala

Cheers,
                          Elie

Comment

Working...
                          X