YUY2 format - I am confused?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YUY2 format - I am confused?

When I capture by AVI_IO, using HUFFYUV codec in YUY2 mode I see that grabbed image differs from what I see as preview during the capture. I see on the window of AVI_IO much more darker picture during the capture than when I watch grabbed material. OK, I almost at random have made the files grabbed by AVI_IO of normal brightness. During the capture in preview it is dark, but after the capture, when I watch it or by Mediaplayer or by any other viewer, it is OK.

After the capture I made from those captured files of normal brightness a project of a film in MSP. Source files were grabbed by AVI_IO, in YUY2 format and looked not dark when I examined them in Mediaplayer, output compression - Matrox MJPEG codec of best quality 704x576. When I watched the rendered film onto my computer, I see that it is much darker than source YUY2 files! But, when I recorded this dark film onto the VCR, and watched on TV - it's just wonderful. What is that? I never worked with YUY2 - maybe it is its tricks?

In other words: should I grab in YUY2, orienting myself to not the brightness of the result captured file, but to the darkness/ brightness of the picture in the screen of AVI_IO, if I plan to use grabbed files as raw material from which I'll make a film and will delete those YUY2 files? Maybe the preview screen of AVI_IO shows how will look this frame when it will be recalculated in RGB? Who can give any idea about that? How to work with that YUY2 format, and why it is considered better than RGB (I know that it doesn't charge so much the processor, what else)? Maybe there is any hints which help to work with YUY2?

Thank you in advance,

------------------
    Anatoly Neverov
    Minsk, Belarus
    Anatoly Neverov
    Minsk, Belarus

Anatoly, this may or may not answer your question(s) to some degree...

I'm still using an RR-S to capture and edit video with. One advantage of using this "dinosaur" is that I love being able to see the video displayed on a NTSC (TV) monitor as well as the computer monitor while capturing and editing video. There is no doubt that video displayed on a computer monitor is darker than the same video displayed on a regular TV monitor. If one was to adjust the image brightness at some point to make it look better on a computer monitor, this same footage would then look too washed out when output to tape or to TV.

Does that help you at all?

Comment

Patrick: I will buy a little TV for sure. I know that if I really want to control the quality of output I just must have a special TV for that.

It seems to me that it was a wrong alarm: the files which yesterday were dark today are OK. Probably my Marvel palys any strange games. I see that it was something with preview windows.

------------------
      Anatoly Neverov
      Minsk, Belarus
      Anatoly Neverov
      Minsk, Belarus

Comment

Working...
      X