Advice on a HD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on a HD?

I am getting closer and closer to retiring my current rig.

At the moment, my 120GB Seagate 'cuda V drive is running with only 2GB free. I need some more disk space, but I don't wont to compromise on quality.

I still do not feel the need to replace my motherboard and CPU, but when I do, I will transfer all of my newer kit into it. Including the HD that I intend to buy now.

I have read over at storage review about the new(ish) Hitachi drives. Would you recommend SATA? even though I'd have to use an adaptor for now?

If not, would you choose the WD SE drives over 'Cuda V?

Cheers!
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Since you intend to buy DVD burner as well, I imagine, your IDE channels are full.

Therefore, aditional controller for IDE/SATA drives is a must.

Since SATA is the trend, I'd get 2-channel SATA controller or mixed (such as Promise SATA+ with 2 SATA and 1 IDE channel) or even 4-channel SATA controller.

IMO Seagate is the way to go for big storage SATA drives.

Comment

Nope, I have two IDE devices and one SCSI in my desktop rig. The DVD writer will replace the SCSI, and the HD will be the fourth.

When I get a new mobo, I will move half across.
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Thinking about it, I shall get two. I need more storage now. So I am after a IDE drive for now.

I will think about a SATA drive later.

Comment

Get the Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160GB with 8mb cache.. this drive still carries the 3 year warranty. There is also a 120GB version.

Comment

I use nothing but Maxtors and have had great luck with 'em. I've only seen one error in my Maxtor based RAID's in the several years I've been using them and their Powermax tool recovered it and the RAID with no data losses.

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

The Hitachi Deskstar 180GXP is very fast and very quiet. Can also be had with 8 MB cache, dunno about the warranty.

AZ
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

From everything I've read Samsung SpinPoint drives run very quiet, cool, fast and reliably. There are 8MB buffer ones out there and they also come with a 3 year warrenty.
                Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

lots to choose from...

Comment

I thought Samsung drives were among the worst, quality wise?
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Sorry for the intrusion...can you guys please report the prices of those disks, too? I'm just plain curious... :-)
                      Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Seagate helps the world store more data and harness its potential with breakthrough cloud storage services, systems, hard drives, solid state drives, and end-to-end data management solutions.

Comment

Speed = WD SE
                          Quiet = Seagate Baracuda

Other good one is the Hitachi's (aka IBM).
                          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Seagate is no speed slouch, but it's not in the "on par with the fastest SCSI drives" like the WD is.

It is, however, DEAD FRIGGIN SILENT.

- Gurm
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                            If only life were as easy as you
                            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                            If only life were as easy as you
                            I would still get screwed

Comment

Speed and silence are secondary to me. First priority by a longshot is RELIABLILITY.

Comment

Working...
                              X