Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G400Max (not an AGP 4X version) detected as 4X !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400Max (not an AGP 4X version) detected as 4X !!!

This is very strange for me.....

I made the R68 header pin patch on my G400Max board, and now under mtstu (version 5.02.04) I readed:

Motherboard AGP speed: 4x
    Videocard AGP speed: 4x

I wonder of this, because I remeber the r68 patch was intended only to manage in the correct way the voltage type detection on the G400Max, not to obtain a true 4X AGP transfer rate!!

The G400Max is mounted on a recently purchased ASUS P4C800 Deluxe Mobo.

Product code for my Matrox Card is:
    G4+MMDHA32GR
    PCB revision is:
    906-01 Rev.: A

(It is a non 4X-AGP, I suppose).

Utylizing CPU-Z (see at: CPU-Z site), I see again AGP 4x.

I never seen the G400 4X AGP working on other MoBos I owned in the past, and now I needed to patch the G400Max because this new MoBo doesn't support the higher voltage (based on the i875P Chipset).

Anyone can explain this to me?
    (I am astonished, but happy)

Only for information: I started the thread: Safe to mount a G400MAX on a i845D chipset?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Zanna; 5 December 2003, 18:34.
    <b><i><font size="+1">Zanna.</font></i></b>
    <p><b><font size="-2"><hr>Current Config: Asus P4C800 Deluxe / Intel Pentium 4c 3.2 Ghz - 800 Mhz Bus / Dual 512Mb DDR 400 Ram (1Gb) / Matrox Millennium G400Max /&nbsp;&nbsp;Sound Blaster Audigy 2 /&nbsp; Western Digital WD2500JB: 250 Gb-7.2Krpm-8MBcache! / Superfloppy LS120 /&nbsp;Yamaha CRW-F1e /&nbsp;LG&nbsp;52x CDROM /&nbsp;Dual Boot 98se / W2k</font></b></p>

G400MAX is always 4X cards.

Its some of the earlier, original G400s that are not 4X...

G400MAX is a revision of the original G400

Comment

My G400MAX's part number is G4+MMDH4A32G, PCB is 906-04 B. Your part number doesn't look like a proper true G400 MAX, you sure it isn't just a regular G400? And like Chrono said, ALL real G400 MAX's were AGP 4X capable.

Comment

No that's not true, my G400Max is 2x.

Comment

oh, nevermind, my bad!

Never had a G400 lol.

Comment

G4+MMDHA32GR is the code for the early G400max cards, which are supposed to be AGP 2x only and have R68 open from the factory.

Officially, the card should not support AGP 4x, so it is strange that your card is apparently running in that mode. Have you tried to see if it will work properly without crashing when running some 3d benchmarks or a game?

Comment

Yeah, I have one of the original G400MAX cards without the -4A marking at the end of the part number, so while it will _work_ in a 4x slot, it'll only run at 2x transfers.

Now, while the card doesn't officially support 4x transfers, it may be that it'll run at that, but wasn't fully validated to do so.

Comment

According to Wombat, very few MAXs are true AGP-4x. Although I'm lucky enough to own such a beast...
                Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Sorry this may be a bit OT. I've heard for months that the G400 2x card can be altered to convert it to 1.5v for use in newer systems. But I've never been able to find specific instructions on how this is done. The OP evidently did this. Can anybody give me a link to a site that tells how in minute detail?

Thanks!
                  Larc

Comment

what about reading the thread linked to in the first post here?

(btw. ALL G400s are 1.5v compatible. The 'mod' is just to satisfy AGP voltage detection mechanisms on some motherboards).

Comment

Larc: Read the thread linked as dZeus suggest, a full description is included !!

Tomasz: Quake III Arena does run regular !!

Anyone having the earlier G400Max (the modded version) can test if the card itself does run at AGP 4X ??

Bye.
                      <p><b><font size="-2"><hr>Current Config: Asus P4C800 Deluxe / Intel Pentium 4c 3.2 Ghz - 800 Mhz Bus / Dual 512Mb DDR 400 Ram (1Gb) / Matrox Millennium G400Max /&nbsp;&nbsp;Sound Blaster Audigy 2 /&nbsp; Western Digital WD2500JB: 250 Gb-7.2Krpm-8MBcache! / Superfloppy LS120 /&nbsp;Yamaha CRW-F1e /&nbsp;LG&nbsp;52x CDROM /&nbsp;Dual Boot 98se / W2k</font></b></p>

Comment

I've got 2 vanilla G400s... I could mod them and try them in my Intel D875PBZ. Then again, on my Asus TUSL2-series boards they would only run reliable at 1x AGP.

Comment

Thanks, but I had already checked all that out. The explanation wasn't sufficiently specific. However, I managed to find one that is.

Thanks anyway.
                          Larc

Comment

Originally posted by Zanna
                            Larc: Read the thread linked as dZeus suggest, a full description is included !!

Tomasz: Quake III Arena does run regular !!

Anyone having the earlier G400Max (the modded version) can test if the card itself does run at AGP 4X ??

Bye.
                            I have an early model G400max, but I have not yet modded it, because it is still installed in an AGP 2X motherboard.

However, I may soon move it into a KT333 based AGP4X motherboard, so I will most likely modify my G400 in the near future.

When I get around to doing that, I will report my findings on MURC.

Comment

Does anyone known a specific software that can test the specific transfer rate of an AGP bus?

I think both mtstu and cpu-z display the AGP4X information after readed it in some specific chipset registers, but is possible that the card can run agp transfers only at AGP2X.

The only way to know it is to make a transefr rate misuration.... right?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X