soundcards that can produce decent headphone music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• soundcards that can produce decent headphone music

I've decided Creative can't do it the latest drivers make the output even worse. SO over to you Guys and Girls.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

I don't plug my headphones directly into it, but my (obsolete now) Hoontech 4DWave sounds just great, thank you. Their current hardware is Yamaha-based, and should be as good or better (their roots are in pro sound hardware).

http://www.hoontech.co.uk/ or http://www.hoontech.com/

I'm sure Az and/or SpiralDragon are going to chime in here soon enough too...
    Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.
      Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Originally posted by MultimediaMan
        Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.
        I don't think so.

I was thinking something along the lines of Terrac models.
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Echo Indigo ... unfortunately it's for laptops only. Has built-in headphone amp and it's fantastic. Only sound card with one that I know of.

Other options, get an M-Audio Revolution 7.1 and a headphone amp, like the ones from [url-www.headphone.com]Headroom[/url]. Other people make headphone amps, no one makes low price ones:

Find the best headphones, speakers and home audio. 365-day returns, free shipping over $100 and legendary customer service!

If you want some really nice headphones for not a lot, pick up some Grado SR-60:

They are about $60 USD and are incredible sounding.

Jammrock
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

My aging Sound Blaster Live 5.1 still works wonders for me

Comment

Headphones sounded fine until last creative update. Thank god I didn't update my other system. Jeeze have they really heard good hi fi not crappy computer speakers. We're not talking ut2k3 and big bangs here. I reckon they've been sat in too many cars.
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I use 2/2.1 mode to listen to headpones on every Creative card I've owned. Headphone Mode has always sucked.
                [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

I gotta say the Terratec DMX 6fire 24/96 or the 6fire LT if you can live without the drive module.

The M-Audio are kinda good to since it's based on the Envy24 too.
                  <font size="-4">User error:
                  Replace user and try again.
                  System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
                  System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
                  </font>

Comment

Terratec 6fire 24/96 has a headphone jack with amp and pot, and sounds great.

The Aureon 7.1 universe is the successor, also offering a headphone jack, amp, and pot in the drive bay.

Both cost about 200 EUR, unfortunately.

AZ
                    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                      Echo Indigo ... unfortunately it's for laptops only. Has built-in headphone amp and it's fantastic. Only sound card with one that I know of.

Other options, get an M-Audio Revolution 7.1 and a headphone amp, like the ones from [url-www.headphone.com]Headroom[/url]. Other people make headphone amps, no one makes low price ones:

Find the best headphones, speakers and home audio. 365-day returns, free shipping over $100 and legendary customer service!

If you want some really nice headphones for not a lot, pick up some Grado SR-60:

They are about $60 USD and are incredible sounding.

Jammrock
                      Is it just me or does teh M-aduio revolution 7.1 look EXACTLY liek the hercules fortissimo III 7.1... do they use the same chop?
                      Last edited by daemorok; 6 December 2003, 15:39.
                      All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream -Edgar Allan Poe-

Comment

M-Audio Revo = VIA/ICE Envy24
                        Herc Fort III = Cirrus Logic CS4624

the only way they look alike to me is that they both have a small, blue PCB, and a few ICs, Capicitors and about the same amount of IO connectors on the bracket.
                        Last edited by dZeus; 6 December 2003, 16:50.

Comment

Originally posted by az
                          Terratec 6fire 24/96 has a headphone jack with amp and pot, and sounds great.
                          Sure does

£150 is a lot of money for a sound card though, specially if you don't need all the conections provided on the breakout box. The M-Audio Revolution is about half the price and should sound just as good.
                          When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

I also vote for the MAudio Revolution coupled with a headphone amp...
                            Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                              I don't think so.
                              Why not? What's wrong with the Santa Cruz?

Comment

Working...
                              X